X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish
    replied
    Re: Woodburn Printing

Sue, pyrography would be an excellent method of creating a wood block for printing. I would suggest that you use one of the harder woods as soft maple or mahogany. I would think that basswood or poplar would be too absorbant for the printing inks.

I would also suggest that you work with a blank that can be stablized on the back to insure that it does not warp during the printing process ... lots of moisture from the inks and even more moisture when you need to clean the block could possibly distort the blank.

As Conrad noted you may have some problems with the sharpest crisp burnt edges. However as you create the number of limited edition prints that you will be hand pulling you might be able to lightly sand the blank to both clean and refreshen the printing edges. This would widen the printed lines but that is part of a hand pull edition.

Susan

OOPS ... should have added birch or birch plywood as a printing blank. Birch plywood would give you a hard wood surface with the added stablity of the laminated plywood substrate.

Leave a comment:

• Conrad Pinto
    replied

Suekich,
    I have sucessfully completed a woodcut using a Minicraft rotary tool with a burr. It works really well. (can send u pics by email, as it may be off-topic here)
    Although I haven't tried the burning method, I guess the burnt edges will tend to crumble after a few prints.

Leave a comment:

• Sharon of the Dell
    replied

Sue, sounds like a good idea although I've never tried it. Maybe use a combo of carving and burning. I took a print making class at a junior college years ago and carved a couple of wood block prints. I recently found my wood blocks. I was kind of thinking along those lines that you are. I like to hand dye,print and paint fabrics for art quilts and have been wanting to try carving more for my fabrics. If you try it, post some pictures and the prints from them, I would like to see them. When I get around to it, I'll post some pics. Nice to meet you!

Leave a comment:

• mobjack68
    replied

I say.."why not"??

I would suggest starting small, proof your work by printing.....prove to yourself it will work. If you need anything..holler??
    jerry

Leave a comment:

• Suekichi
    replied

I decided against linoleum primarily because it's tedious work. So I figured, since I handle a pen rather well, I'd have no trouble making pyrography plates. Of course, there'd be woodcarving tools involved for getting rid of the background bulk.

Leave a comment:

• mobjack68
    replied

The burning may not leave the background deep enough. Have you considered a couple of basic carving tools to remove some background bulk??
    You can always use the woodburning for texturing...

Is there a particular reason you are looking at wood? Linoleum covered wood has been the standard for lino/wood cuts for awhile

A little more about your intentions/end product might help a little..
    jerry

Leave a comment:

• Suekichi
    replied

Originally posted by Conrad Pinto View Post
    Good idea Sue!
    I'm interested in doing woodcut prints too. I guess if you have the right kind of tips for the burner (or make your own) and burn deep enough, you should be able to take prints off the wood.

Will you call them woodburn prints ??

Will post the results if I try this out.
    Well, that's the thing, I'm not so sure it's such a good idea. I haven't been able to find anything on "woodburn printing" on the net, and that makes me suspect it's not the best of ideas. I mean, someone would have tried it out already if it was. But, like you said, maybe with the right kind of tips for the burner...

Anyway, please fill me in if you do get a chance to try it out. I would love to see what you get out of it.

Leave a comment:

• Conrad Pinto
    replied

Good idea Sue!
    I'm interested in doing woodcut prints too. I guess if you have the right kind of tips for the burner (or make your own) and burn deep enough, you should be able to take prints off the wood.

Will you call them woodburn prints ??

Will post the results if I try this out.

Leave a comment:

• bigEd_H
    replied

Hello and welcome to the forum. The experts should be along soon. Until then, with a variable temp wood burner at low temp you can do pyrography on paper. With a fixed temp (hobby burner) you can do it, but it is much more difficult and you have to maintain a steady speed of drawing the tip across the paper.

Leave a comment:

• Suekichi
    started a topic Woodburn Printing

Woodburn Printing

Hi, (I hope I'm posting in the right place). I recently discovered intaglio printing, using cardboard paper. But what I'd really like to do, is make woodcut prints. But I've never done woodcutting. So, I thought, why not do pyrography instead. Is this a good idea, can pyrography be used to make prints on paper?

-Sue
Working...
X