Build Your Own Burner?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Build Your Own Burner?

Well AlArchie I spent the better part of an hour calling around in my area and no one has nor can they get that transformer. The more I called the more nervous my wife became... now I have a burner on order from Razortip. I would rather have built one...could have saved a bundle. Thanks for the posts and the time you put into the schematics I really appreciated it. ~ Dwight
    ~ Dwight
    "Hello, I am the Friggin' Happiness Fairy and I just sprinkled happy dust on you, so smile damit' this crap is expensive."

Comment

well i for one am stoked this thread came back to life when it did! it wasnt just two weeks ago i was scrounging the net looking for info on what makes up the insides of a woodburner controller. thanks for the info you guys, i'll be kicking this project around and i'l be sure to post as i go through this

Comment

If you've been reading down this thread, please go back and note that I corrected the notes on the schematic and also corrected the transformer part number. It is the VPL2-10000 using the 1.25 volt output. I checked the actual output with a volt meter and it is 1.5VAC. With the 20 amps, it will heat the pen red hot in no time and hold the temps for doing extended burnings.

So if you try this project use the 20 amp 1.25 volt wiring sequence.

Sorry for the misinformation, but I had to try both configurations when I built this project and wound up with one that worked.

Again, here's the Allied Electronics catalog page. Scroll down to the 25VA section. The correct transformer is the first one in this section

www.alliedelec.com/catalog/pf.aspx?FN=1006.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by JLPicard View Post
          I'm pretty poor, but I have electrical/electronic skills, and I am interested in Pyrography. Has anyone ever heard of or know where I can get a schematic for a variable Pyrography base unit? Possible to convert a Soldering Gun to a hand held burning unit?
          Check "AMERICAN WOODWORKER" issue #161'Aug. '12

Comment

Here is a burner you can make for about $100. His burning power at the end of the demo shows it has plenty of heat. Enjoy!

Make A Wood-Burning Transformer - YouTube

Comment

One of the members of my woodturning club put on a program on a wood burner he made, he used a battery charger as the powder source. After looking at the drawings and spec's he had in his handout I decided it was 10 times larger and cost at least as much to build as buying any of the name brands.

Comment

AlArchie What schematic did you use? I have tried different transformers using a light dimmer for wire wound transformers. I have the dimmer connected from the mains to transformer the pen works for 5 mins then the transformer gives up. I have burnt out 3 transformers. Thanks
                Last edited by weemanb79; 01-19-2016, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Fellow named Graeme Priddle (woodturner) made a wood vaporizer from a car battery charger... He has schematics. I remember someone bought a bunch of the $3.00 toasters on black Friday. The wire is nichromium, same as in commercial tips. You make your own tips. He saved a bundle, over a roll of wire...

Comment

sorry for not getting back sooner, computer been down and workig off my tablet. I\'ll get schematic later today

Al

Comment

OK, here\\\\\\\'s the schematic....bear in mind this is NOT UL approved. It works fine for me but if you build it, you are on your own. One caveat,, make sure the ground wire is secured to the metal frame of the case.

Hope this helps. I added a second port with a slideswitch toswichfrom one pen to a second one, but that is not necessary.

Al
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi AlArchie
                        Just wondering what kind of dimmer switch did you use, just and ordinary one from the hardware store or a special one from Allied ?
                        Thanks Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by scotia carver View Post
                          Hi AlArchie
                          Just wondering what kind of dimmer switch did you use, just and ordinary one from the hardware store or a special one from Allied ?
                          Thanks Bruce
                          all paper
                          I just used a lightswitch dimmer.....the whole project works pretty well. Only problem is there is no scale under the control knob, but that really could be remedied by making one from a small paper disc.

Al

Comment

Thanks for the info
                            Bruce

Comment

You can find the heatsink on allicdata and follow the instructions to install it. https://www.allicdata.com

Comment

FYI this post is several years old, plus a heat sink is not required for a simple wood burner. FYI
                                Bill
                                Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Working...
                                X