No announcement yet.

Optima 1 dual or Colwood super pro two?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optima 1 dual or Colwood super pro two?

Just wanted to check on the likes/ dislikes on the Optima 1 Dual wood burner. I got to use one. Worked good I guess but nothing to compare it to. Lifetime warranty but not too concerned with a problem. it's a woodburner not a DVD player.
    http://www.thewoodcraftshop.com/stor...-HD-CORDS.html

The other unit on my list is the Colwood super pro two burner. http://www.woodburning.com/toolshop/...o=165&iType=17 .
    I noticed on that one the unit has one side "detail" and the other side "heavy duty" is the output less on one side than the other?

I am leaning towards the Colwood. Why? I have no idea. Never used one.

Are pens interchangeable from one brand to the next?

From my research I think one can't go wrong with any brand.Just like to hear from people who have used each unit above to compare the two.

Re: Optima 1 dual or Colwood super pro two?

I have the colwood super pro 2 and I can't complain about it. I have two tips, a shader and ball point. I keep both plugged in all the time. I use the shader in 99.99% of my work. I have only used the ball point a couple times here and there. With that said, I honestly don't know if there is a different to both sides, because I basically use just one tip and keep it plugged into the right side output.

Comment

If you use the search function you will find several threads on this subject, question. As many things this comes down to a matter of preference. I prefer the Optima that is what I and most of my club mates use. I think the other burners are nice choices also but I prefer the Optima pens. That is what made a difference for me. Most pens are interchangeable between units these days. Some take an adaptor but they are readily available.

Your question about the output of the Super Pro being different on one side than the other. I don't think so but I'm not sure. I think it is just so you can use both types of pens at the same time. The one side has the 18 gauge cord for the detail pens and the other has the 16 for the HD, heavy duty pens. I believe the cord is what makes the difference of the output to the pens not the unit itself. I think the unit is one output. but hopefully someone will come along soon that knows for sure.

So it boils down to what is your highest priority in your purchase as to which one you choose. Each person has their own list of priorities. But I think if you keep with the major players you can't go wrong with your decision. And I think Optima and Colwood are two of the major players, choices.

I know you will enjoy your burner. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine. Can't wait to hear all about it. Make sure you keep us updated, let us know how it goes. Blessings!

Comment

Thanks for all the info.

I have done a lot of reading with the search function. A lot of good info.
        It is very clear in my reading that any of the popular systems is good. All comes down to the feel of the pen. I have no place local to compare the Colwood with the Optima that my friend has.

I am not a woodcarver but a woodworker. Would like to use a wood burner to embellish my work.

Thanks again for all the info.

Comment

Is there any carving clubs around you? If there is try visiting one or a couple and see what the members have. Most are very willing to share and will let you check their equipment out. I have let several people check mine out so they can see if they like it or not. Someone might have a Colwood. Or do have any carving supply places near by or carvers that have a shop. We're lucky we have one about an hour or so from us, a carver that has a nice shop off of his house. Or check and see if any carving shows are going to be in your area you can usually find some vendors that carry them there.

Using woodburning to embellish your work would work very well I think. I would love to see some of it when you get to that stage. Good luck in your decision making process.

Comment

I go to the Artistry In Wood Show in Dayton Ohio every year. But thats not till November. Just may be worth to hold off till then.

Thanks

Comment

I've tried out the Optima before but I have a Colwood. Had it for about 15 years. No problem whatsoever. You can go to the Colwood website for more specifc info about them and even ask them questions.

My Colwood just has the one outlet for a pen. I have 2-3 fixed tip burning pens and one replacable tip pen, for which I have 6-8 different tips.

I love my Colwood and certainly reccommend it.

Donna_T

PS: Look over to the left side of this page under Carving Community...Calendar of Events...and you may find a show that will have vendors before the November show.
              From Missouri

Comment

My opinion is that the advantage with the Optima is life time warranty because all of the conections with in the machine itself are solder connections not mechanical connections and won't corrode over time. I have several of them. I gave my Colwood away. My Colewood pens (30 plus) are all ever so slightly loose in their housings (had several come loose) and the Optima's are in the housing very tightly.

Comment

Hi,

I just bought a Colwood due to better value for the money and quality. I bet that both systems could do great. In my unit, the only difference between one control and the other one is the gauge of the cord. You can get another cord with the bigger gauge and change it easily if required. I just haven't had the need to do it. To get this quality of tool with two cords, more than enough power and great tip versatility for less than $200 is great. If I wanted to invest more and to get some top of the line stuff, I'd probably have bought the Razortip. But it seems that I'm going to enjoy years of woodburning for a decent reasonable price.

I'm not a pro but I'm happy with my purchase.

Comment

Glad you have enjoyed your purchase. Again it comes down to what your priority list is and what you have discovered in your research, experience. But the Optima is also under $200, it's under $150 for the dual unit, two cords and two pens and shipping and handling is also included with certain suppliers. And as Robert mentioned that includes a life time guarantee on the unit itself with reasonable use. As long as you haven't missed used it.

I think they are both an excellent choice especially if price is a priority. It was for us. Both my husband and I are disabled so we know all to well about tight budgets. But I still think Optima is a better value for the reason I explained before.

But as long as you enjoy your choice and have fun with it, that is priceless.

Blessings!

Comment

Hi,

After reading your last comment, I went back on the Internet and did more research. I was able to find the Optima at $101 and the Colwood Pro at $97 + S/H both. The fixed tips for the Optima were around $16 and the Coldwood's were $13. With this little difference and the lifetime warranty, the Optima looks like a better deal! I also saw the connection of the wires. The optima looks pretty good. I liked the plugging concept.... It also seems that the hand-pieces are interchangeable. I may end up buying Optima fixed tips and using them in the Colwood!!! If they are better quality!

Take care!

Comment

The fixed tips of the Colwood are cheaper at 13.00, you have to pay 3.95 more to have them polished. Optima at 17.00 already comes polished. Also the Optima has a thinner blade than the Colwood. The Optima cord is also much more flexible that the one that I got with my Colwood and it was supposed to be flexible. The Optima was flexible like a piece of rope.

Comment

Hi, flinstone!

I think that is an excellent idea. I know several burners that have ended up doing that and are really happy with that choice. But make sure to check and see if you need an adaptor or not. I have a club mate that has the Colwood Cub and he had to get an adaptor for it. But they work great with the adaptor and it is very inexpensive. I also have another club mate that didn't need the adaptor on his model but I don't recall which his was. I think most of the Colwoods are interchangble but I know the Cub needs an adaptor.

I just want to clarify, make sure thought that it is clear that the lifetime guarantee is on the unit itself not the tips, pens. I'd have to double check about the pens I'm not sure about them it's been awhile, I think they are only a year. But after that he will replace the tips for $5 and I think $1 or $1.50 s&h.

As I shared before the quality and comfort of the Optima pens first and then the price are what finalized my decision on the purchase of the Optima. Not even the lifetime guarantee that was just an added bonus.

All I can say is try one and see. If you don't like them better they are very resalable. I have tried some of the specialty pens and found although I liked them okay I found I didn't use them that much and I had no problem reselling them. I could do what they did with my old reliable bent spear shader. That's the only reason I sold them.

Well good luck and have fun. Look forward to seeing some of your burns in the future here I hope.

Blessings!
                          teeburn

Comment

Just so you understand that the Optima lifetime warranty is ONLY against manufacturing defects.

Just to throw another option into the pot is Nibsburner which has a variety of options and choices as well as pens. They are also made in the USA and have excellent customer service and are very quick should you have any problems. They've been around a long time just not as well known.

Nedra

Comment

Working...
                            X