About to start woodburning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to start woodburning

I am about to start woodburning so I am trying to find out some information first. I read about a method transfer patterns directly to wood for pyrography,with the woodburner, using pyrography paper. Is this a good way to transfer patterns?
    I found a supply on the net, 50 sheets for $6, but best in Canada $22 for 50 sheets. Any suggestions for Canadian sources? Is this paper similar to kitchen parchment paper?

Re: About to start woodburning

Sorry, I can't help, Steve, but I'm sure someone here will have some suggestions. I use the ole' cover the back of the picture with pencil and then trace the image method. It's cheaper and the pencil erases easily.
    Best of luck with burning. Be sure to show us what you do.
    Pol

Comment

I'm with POL!!

Comment

Hi, steveh!

I would check and see exactly what the paper was made of before I would use it. Just like when you burn on paper you have to make sure it doesn't have any sizers or any chemicals in it, some do. And that is a no no to do, burn on. Always safety first in my book. I know some people choose to take chances but my health is to valuable to me to take unnecessary chances.

Wow, that is a big difference in price. I wonder why such a difference. There is a lot of Canadian members on here so hopefully they will come along shortly and be more helpful. If I happen to find any on the net I will make sure to let you know. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by steveh View Post
          I am about to start woodburning so I am trying to find out some information first. I read about a method transfer patterns directly to wood for pyrography,with the woodburner, using pyrography paper. Is this a good way to transfer patterns?
          I found a supply on the net, 50 sheets for $6, but best in Canada $22 for 50 sheets. Any suggestions for Canadian sources? Is this paper similar to kitchen parchment paper?
          Steven,

I honestly suggest graphite transfer paper, it's safer. The pyrography paper MAY be treated paper but the fact is that you print your pattern on it and the printing is from ink from the printer which is man made and probably toxic if you burn through it. I would ask for the msds sheet on the paper (probably not available) and I would also want to see the msds sheet on the ink from your printer.

I have a Pyrography 101 tutorial on my website about material safety and there is some information regarding paper that might help.

So many companies come up with gimmicks to make life easier, not necessarily safer.

The old fashioned way of sketching it by hand if you have the talent. If not, use graphite transfer paper. Just do a google search for sources in Canada.

Nedra

Comment

Thank you Teeburn and Nedra, for the very useful information. I hadn't thought about the toxicity.

Steve

Comment

Steve,

most people don't think about it, that's one of the problems. I keep getting calls and emails from people who have developed very seriuous medical conditions because they didn't think about it either or relied on someone else's "expertise".

It's one of my mantra's in all my classes and has been for years because I take safety very seriously but many people just don't think it is, including some instructors. It's scary when I hear about what some instructors are teaching students...burning through plastic, glue, masking tape, press n seal, etc. Then their students go on to teach and teach the same techniques. I guess they have good liability insurance.

I've tried some of them (outdoors of course) just to see and even outdoors I could smell the fumes and started coughing. I've called the manufacturers of some of these products and talked to them about it and most said similar things that people must be crazy to do it and to reduce their risk would add statements such as "it's safe when used as directed" or it's "safe when used as it was intended...like using press n seal to cover a bowl and using masing tape to hold something together". I have yet to read any directions stating to burn through any of those things.

Unfortunately not all things have information on the packing regarding how it is made and what it's made of. The pyrography paper is one of them. Different companies are now marketing the same thing with their own name on it. They all seem to work the same. Print your pattern on it and print it from your computer. Then burn through the pattern. Safe if you are carving through it perhaps not so safe burning through it.

Nedra

Comment

Nedra,

Since I am jst starting, are there any readily available or exotic woods that one should stay away from? I will likely be burning indoors with exhaust fan, most of the year.

Steve

Comment

Steve try this web site she has alot of answers that might help you. www.cherylddow.com she's from michigan and will answer any questions you might have. Bob

Comment

Hi Steve, I do have a page on my site with a chart of woods and toxicity. I've added things to it over the years as I find more information.

Pyrography101.com :: Pyrography 101 Tutorial Material Safety

I have had a couple of customers tell me that even with exhaust fans venting outdoors they still had trouble burning on some woods. In one case it was red cedar and a customer said even a week later with venting outdoors his son came to visit and ended up in the ER because of respiratory problems so be cautious when burning on woods on this list. Some people do and don't have problems but it might not show up right away, it could take years as I have been told by some people who developed problems many years later and Dr's were able to pin point the source of the toxins.

Nedra

Comment

Thanks Nedra,
                      Exactly the information I was looking for at the link provided. Red cedar and douglas fir are is a common wood heres, both old growth and new growth. I was thinking about using them, glad to know abut their dangers.
                      Do you have a similar article on the sensitivities to wood finishes?

Steve

Comment

Hi Steve, sorry I don't have one for wood finishes. I tend to use one with low/no odors and a brush on. I can use it indoors with no issues. Many people use sprays but I have found most of them have odors that have caused me problems so I stick to the General Finishes Polyacrylic satin. I've been using it on my wood finishes for years but also use JoSonja polyurethane which is also a brush on. They are more time consuming than spray but I get even distribution of the finish with no drips or splotches and neither one yellows with age.

Nedra

Comment

Working...
                        X