burner pricing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• burner pricing...

I have been contemplating becoming a member of Woodburners Anonymous...I have a Hot Tool that I have used for texturing and some shading...

I have been looking at burners...there are a lot of them and pricing varies with the moon phases.
    Not trying to open this up for whose is the biggest/best/most variable/most used...etc..etc, what I really need from the folks that have been here, I need a decent, entry level, variable heat burner with interchangeable tips. I need it to be as cheap as possible. I know, I know...good and cheap don't necessarily go together. I don't mind paying, I just need to get in as cheap as I can and be able to add as necessary.
    Thoughts??

Re: burner pricing...

Here are some, I have the Colwood detailer. Works real good, I prefer the fixed tip pens. Colwood Woodburners and Accessories

Dave

Comment

As I've posted previously, I have had a Colwood Cub and have used it extensively for 17-18 years with absolutely no problems. It's an economical entry level burner that just keeps on working for you even as you advance in what you want it to do. It only has one wire for one burning pen, but it has a dial to easily adjust the burning temperature. I tend to burn lightly--without leaving much char at all--at about the mid-range on the dial. But it will flat char/blacken your project when the temperature is increased slightly. It takes both fixed tip and replacable tip handpieces. It doesn't take much more than 5 seconds to change tips or handpieces--so I have never found the need to have a burner with more than one wire. Since my hands are 64 years old, taking a 5 second break in burning periodically is beneficial and reminds me to flex fingers and wrist to keep them from cramping (and requiring a dose of Aleve at bedtime!)

So, I'd suggest you check on prices for the Colwood cub.

Donna_T
      From Missouri

Comment

You might look at the Nibsburner First Step. It's a bit more than the Cub but the cord is not built into the burner and it comes with a pen so it's not really cheaper because the Cub does not come with any pens.

Nedra

Comment

I also recommend the Colwood Detailer. I've used mine for detailing and texturing carvings as well as pyrography. It's a very versatile machine at a reasonable price. Several carvers in my club have used this model for years.

Comment

I have a Coldwood and a Nibsburner. Both have worked real well with me, have had one for 8 years and the Nibsburner for over 10. Some times when I am working on a bird I will burn all day and into the evening. The Coldwood just keeps going. The fixed tip pens work well, I generally never burn over 4 to 5 on the setting and do not have any excessive heating of the handle. Still using several of the tips that I orginaly bought over 10 years ago. Only broke one from bearing down to hard. It split the tube at the point it is fixed into, but it still works.
            Charlie Wolfe
            Charlie Wolfe [email protected]
            http://charleswolfe.weebly.com/

Comment

Working...
            X