Gourd Banjo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gourd Banjo

Hi Susan: Well, maybe your son will learn to play the banjo--just think you already have one. lol

I have a good friend in Idaho who is very much like you--love a challenge of figureing out how to make things fit. Very creative the both of you.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish
      Here's the thumb drum. It is also made using a kettle gourd as the barrel area. The face plate is 1/8", 5 ply birch plywood with black walnut bridges and trim. It's 7" high, 7 1/2" wide and about 6" deep at the widest point into the gourd.

As I said earlier, I don't play musical instruments but this thumb gourd is easy to pick and somehow came out with a beautifully deep tone Smile"

Sorry about the shiny spots ... I have already finished the polyurethane coatings and I don't have enough experience with cameras to get around all the glossies!

Susan

Thats called a "Kalimba" Susan, and you did a terrific job...did you buy the metal in a kit or make it from scratch.....I have a small one, but nothing like that! Dave
      "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Wow Susan! You just keep raising the bar all the time! That drum is beautiful. Played or not, it's a work of art!!! Well done.

Bob
        Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Susan

Comment

Susan it is beautiful. I've often thought about doing some burning on one of Al's guitars but just haven't had the time. You've inspired me though!

Comment

Working...
            X