Need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help

Hello. I'm in need of some suggestions, help, tips, basically what anybody can offer. What is the best way to transfer an image onto dark leather? Thanks for your help.
    Luni

Re: Need some help

I'm not sure if it would work--but I'd try light or white graphite paper...but I'm not sure if it would show on the leather...

Bob Duncan
    Wood Carving Illustrated

Comment

I came to woodcarving from leatherwork (a whole bunch of years ago). But, the way I got my patterns onto the leather was to trace the pattern onto thin, clear plastic sheets (you can get them at office supply places), wet the leather and let it come back close to its original color (not totally dry out, just let it dry to damp), you can then take a stylus (a pen-like tool with a round smooth ball on the end) and trace the pattern onto the leather. It will stay there. In fact, with the leather damp, be careful not to make any other marks that you don't want on the leather. I have also used the click end of a ball point pen as a stylus (not the writing end, the other one, they are usually pretty smooth).

Comment

I guess it depends on what kind of leather you have. I had just plain carving leather that I got from Tandy and I used Pauls method above, tracing with a stylus on damp leather. Maybe you could call a Tandy store and they could tell you what to use.

Susan N.

Comment

I've never burned on dark leather but on light leather I use Saral transfer paper. It's graphite and safe to burn on. I don't think it will show up very well on darker leather, but then burning won't either. I don't have any white transfer paper around to check but I do not believe the colored transfer papers are graphite. I believe they are wax based but you should check a box to be sure. If it is wax-based you should not be burning on it.

Paul's idea of using a stylus to outline your work is another good alternative. It's safe and you can easily see your outline. It will, however, show up in your burning.

Comment

I know the burning shows up on the darker leather because I tried it. I bought two black pieces so I would have something to test on. I thank-you all very much for your help. Hopefully now I'll be able to get my image transfered and finish it up before school starts.

Comment

Working...
            X