Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some more practice.

Hi folks,

I have been practicing my burning efforts on some more boxes. They seem to be quite popular here at the display, cause I can't seem to keep them long. I've sold everyone that I've made so far, which is nice. I'll have to find some more boxes, I'm running out! Wondering what else might work as a medium for burnings? Going to try some oval shaped boards next. I find the burnings relaxing and fun to do.....I combine modern local scenery with historic ships built in the area.....but people keep asking for the Bluenose, so I've done one of her, and lost a bet to my daughter. She said if I did one of Bluenose, that it would sell the same day I displayed it......and it did! Smart *** kid! Wink

Bob
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Re: Some more practice.

Bob,
    Wonderful work you really have a talent for those ships. I have yet to try Pyrography but I am thinking I will try some this winter when life slows down a bit. Thanks for sharing the box and for the inspiration.
    Colin
    Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
    Jackson, MS

Comment

Hi Bob, wooden plates work well for pyrography as well.
      Well done on the two you posted.Smile
      OG

Originally posted by squbrigg
      Hi folks,

I have been practicing my burning efforts on some more boxes. They seem to be quite popular here at the display, cause I can't seem to keep them long. I've sold everyone that I've made so far, which is nice. I'll have to find some more boxes, I'm running out! Wondering what else might work as a medium for burnings? Going to try some oval shaped boards next. I find the burnings relaxing and fun to do.....I combine modern local scenery with historic ships built in the area.....but people keep asking for the Bluenose, so I've done one of her, and lost a bet to my daughter. She said if I did one of Bluenose, that it would sell the same day I displayed it......and it did! Smart *** kid! Wink

Bob

Comment

well done bob......good job

Comment

Bob,
          Very nice as always!
          A good source of boxes, if you can pick up silverware boxes, they're incredibly nice! Maybe ebay. They show up at our weekly Auction often and usually sell for $5, rarely $10, empty of course.
          I have a box you'd love! It'd be incredible with your ships on it. It's a 1930's clown costume/prop box, about 45" high, 65 wide, 30 deep. There's a top lid plus half the front folds down to become a work bench. It's just old maybe cedar with lots of patina, no carving or writing. I thought about making it a tool chest for carving tools, but then I'd modify it and it's too great like it is! It'd be very very great with a sailing scene on the front!
          Wade

Comment

Thank you folks for your kind words and encouragement. Wade, I'd love to see that box, it sounds like a real gem! That size you could put quite a scene on it! You might consider making some insert trays for it, to keep your tools in, and rig them in such a way that they are secured for transport or movement. I saw an article in a woodworking magazine this winter with one done up. A real masterpiece. Think you could send along a picture or two of it? With a box that size you could have the whole Battle of Trafalger burned on it!!!

So many things to carve, ships to build and now....things to burn!!!

Bob
            Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Bob,
              I'll try to get a picture of the clown box up this weekend. It's a beauty, especially knowing of all the rubber chickens, red noses and floppy shoes that have been in it over 60+ years! They're all gone, but you could still fit 6 or 16 clowns in the box (based on the vw bug measuring system)!

Comment

Bob,

Heavy weight hot press water color paper works wonderfully for wood burning. The higher the rag contents the better. With water color paper you can then have the work framed.

Gourds are also used in wood burning, usually for more of an outline work. The fun with gourds is that you can cut them into so many shapes before you burn.

Leather is a standard whether its cow, deer, or hog hide. I have not done any leather yet but if I did I would probably work on a pre-cut kit ... purse, wrist band, key chain shapes.

Paper mache boxes are inexpensive and burn very well. Because they are beige in color you don't get the pale tones but the boxes again come in great shapes.

Susan

Comment

OUTSTANDING Bob! I am amazed at how beautiful your carved ships are but your burnings are incrediable. Love the waves and how you made them look choppy.

Comment

When selecting a wood to burn on be sure that it is unfinished. It is not safe to burn on stain, finish, paint, etc. It should be raw. Also research the wood to ensure it is not toxic. You can find out more information on this by searching google for "wood toxicity". There are several websites with a chart listing various woods and their effects. Leather should be vegetable tanned.

Comment

Nedra

Great point about chemically treated wood and painted wood. I so agree! We may be able to use unknown and found wood in carving but when it comes to wood burning it is never a safe practice to work on anything that you don't know the exact origins and treatment.

Susan

Comment

Working...
                      X