Latest efforts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest efforts.

I hope I'm not boring you folks with all these burnings, but I must have caught the bug! I'll blame it on Sue Walters great book on burning and all you nice folks, your encouragement! Smile I keep trying to capture the feel of the moment and the energy of the ships, I hope you like them.

I am particurlarly happy with these two efforts, I wanted to capture Bluenose's spirit and the Cutty Sark is such a magnificant ship. The sight of them dancing over the waves makes my heart soar, and makes me wish I was out there!

Bob
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Re: Latest efforts.

Wow !

Bob they are really something . Gives me an idea for another carving Talking .

Ash

Comment

Bob I always feel the same way when I post, I always think am I boring these people because I carve so fast and its always woodspirits. I never get bored at looking at your magnificent ships they are awesome. Keep posting Bob as far as I am concerned I just love to see what everyone is doing. BTW those are two fantastic wood burnings something I have been meaning to try
      Colin
      Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
      Jackson, MS

Comment

Excellent work Bob. You can almost see them moving across the sea.

Comment

You are not boring me, Bob.......great burns. You have captured the movement of sea and sky and then added those ships in, to boot! Wow! Are these your own drawings or did you use a pattern? If patterns, where can we find them? Just getting interested in pyro and these look like great (but more advanced) projects.

Al

Comment

They're beautiful, Bob! Up Spirits!
            Wade

Comment

Hi Al, a great resource for pyro patterns would be the Dover colouring books, but actually any picture can be a pattern for pyrography(woodburning).Smile

Cheers.

OG

Originally posted by AlArchie
              You are not boring me, Bob.......great burns. You have captured the movement of sea and sky and then added those ships in, to boot! Wow! Are these your own drawings or did you use a pattern? If patterns, where can we find them? Just getting interested in pyro and these look like great (but more advanced) projects.

Al

Comment

Thank you folks for your kind words of encouragement. I am having fun doing these, and there are so many ships I want to capture.

I don't use patterns, just look for old paintings, prints or photographs of the ships and sketch from that. I've been drawing ships since I was a kid in school, daydreaming about the sea instead of paying attention in class. I'll sometimes use a model I've built as a "model" to get the right "attitude" or "perspective" of a ship I'm trying to draw...... heel, pitch or yaw. There are hundreds if not thousands of old ship portraits around the world. Before photography, a captain or owner would commission an artist to paint a portrait of his ship, and many artists specialized in this art form. Some ports had better artists than others, so ships painted entering certain ports are more numerous than others. IE: Naples, Italy.

Bob
                Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

There is nothing boring about these! They are really nice. Please continue to share with us.

Comment

Very nice Bob, your starting to get the hang of this. Just keep in mind when using other people's paintings, photos, etc that they are copyright protected. Unless you get their written permission or make enough changes in the design(legal recommendation is 75%) that you can call it your own design you are infringing on copyright. Some artists are very nice about it and will give written permission without any fees. I had one photographer charge me $50 for a photo with rights to use it for a burning. This is also true for using someone else's pattern.

This is why I use my own photos or just use part of something in a painting or photo only as a reference as part of a design I create. Talking

Comment

Hi Bob:
                      First on all really nice work you captured the feel of the water and ship movement. I did have a newbie question though--what type of wood did you use for your two pieces? I've seen Sue Walters work online and looking forward to purchasing her book. As I need all the help I can get. lol
                      Kathy

Comment

Kathy,
                        Hi!
                        Check out Nedra's books too, she does some incredible work! She just posted before you as Pyrographer, and has several books you can probably find if you click on her links.
                        Have fun!
                        Wade

Comment

Kathy....the scenes are burned onto the tops of unfinished boxes that you buy in local building supply craft section. They are made of Pine with a light plywood top, made in China, but no doubt using North American lumber. Nicely made, better joinery than I can manage!

Thanks Wade, I'll do that, I'm always interested in learning to do things better and better....er....improving. Alfie and Susan have been a big help along the way. I'll check out Pyrographer's site.

Pyro......I try to find images of ships painted at the time of their activity, so the painter would be long dead for generations, though I may sketch from a modern one, I change enough of the original to make it my own. I understand the copywright law thing, for the most part, I'm just passionate about the ships and the sea and love to see a well done image capture the moment of a ship under canvas rolling along the waves. I also make sure that if I use a modern image I identify the artist and image title that inspired the image burned into the back, next to my own name and date.
                          Bob

Comment

Hey Bob!

Those ships are fantastic, love your detailing. The wave work, though, justblows me away. The shading through the top of the waves really gives them dimension! You might want to try adding a little more of that type of shading to the sail. Your first posting has a start to this shading and I can feel the sails filling with wind.

Beatiful - can't wait to see the next.

Susan

Comment

Thanks Susan, I will try to work on the shading more. It has always been a challenge to me, attempting to get it right. I've been studying Sue Walters book and trying some of her methods, but not all apply to sails or waves. Wink Not much hair, feathers or fur on a sailing ship. But the basics are similar.....I just need to take more time and do it right. Practice, practice, practice!

Thanks again,

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X