Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pyrography & Painted Gourd

Hi All:
    Hope pyrography on gourds is OK for this forum. I do plan to try my hand at burning on some birch wood. I'm totally taken by the beautiful pyrography work that is being done today. It's beautiful a true art form........
    Well, back to my gourd:
    Title: Hopi Woman
    Size: 14" Tall and 10" Round at base
    After all that cleaning and sanding, cutting the top off I sprayed the inside with black paint. Then I applied the first coat of lt. brown leather dye to the out side. Except for the front where I drew in pencil my original design. Then I burned in the outline of the design very carefully using my new wood burner. The next step was to paint my design using acrylic paints. I pretty much painted the entire design except I did leave some of the gourd color in the mid-ground. The natural color of the gourd seemed to fit the composition and I like leaving some of the gourd color. A couple days later I applied another coat of the lt leather dye and finished with two coats of ploy-acrylic water base varnish. I really love seeing the varnish bring out the color of the dye. Well, so there you have it my first big gourd adventure. Loved the experience and I'm working on another larger one--which will include burning also. Hope it's OK to show gourds as long as I use the pyrography technique on them?
    Thank you for looking,
    Kathy

Re: Pyrography & Painted Gourd

Beautiful job Kathy. I've never seen gourds burned before! Don't you love it when a new adventure results in something worthy of sharing? Have fun and keep us posted on your next new project/adventure!

Bob
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Kathy,

She's just beautiful! I love the wide color bands through her shawl, the way you have them flowing to enwrap her. Very nice job! Gourds are a delightful surface to work on and so very easily cut into different shapes.

Susan

Comment

Wonderful burning and painting just love it. It has all the characteristics of a native piece.
        Colin
        Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
        Jackson, MS

Comment

Wonderful work. I look forward to seeing more of it. I have always enjoyed southwestern art.Thumbs Up

Comment

Bob: Thank you, I'd never seened gourds burned either until a few months ago. A friend of mine is a gourder and got me interested in the technique. After reading further about pyrography I became interested and thought I'd like to try it also. I want to try a non-painted gourd using just burning--need to get a blender/shader pen for my woodburner first. I presently have a skew and writing tip pens and the blender/shader tip looks important to get that smooth blended transistion.
            Susan: Thank you, Working on gourds is truely working almost in the round not unlike sculpture. LOL I got caught up in designing and burning in the blanket cape wanted it to be the focal point. I did have a problem with bleed from the burn into the wet acrylic paint. If you look close you can see it especially on the blanket cape and tourquoise rim (painted).
            Colin: Thank you, living in Arizona I have been greatly influenced by the native American designs. My hubby and I are Arizona Site Stewards and monitor several ruin/petroglyph sites in our area. Which I plan to do some pyrograpy incorporating petroglyph designs into my work.
            Ron: Thank you, I love the Southwest and the high desert and the Hopi are especially a favorite of mine.
            Thank you all again for such a warm welcome!
            Kathy

Comment

Very nice work Kathy. I fancy native american as well. I lived in New Mexico for several years and hope to return when I retire (maybe this year). I have done a few gourds but prefer wood myself. I think it's the fragrance of burning wood that get's to me. I might have a go at more gourds after the pyrography festival next year....

Comment

Hi Nedra: I just came from spending some time at your web site and enjoyed every minute. Your work is just wonderful I have to tell you my favorites are 'Lovers' the little girl with the raccoon and wolf. I think my very favorite is 'These Boots Were Made For Walking'. Getting to see the WIP was really informative and you captured them so well. Last but not least the portrait of President Bush is wonderful.
                I have some birch that is calling to me to draw somthing on and get to burning. I just order a shader for my RazorTip when it arrives I'll be all ready. Will share the out come good or bad. LOL
                Kathy

Comment

Thanks Kathy, one of these days I'm going to do another pair of boots. I have a photo of some I took at a boot shop in Texas. They thought I was nuts, but I was searching for an interesting pair to burn and they let me take photos.
                  Which shader did you buy? I use the HD5MP spear shader for 99% of my work, it's the most versatile and I can do almost anything with it.

Comment

Hi Nedra: Both hubby and I have a pair of boots--hubbys are more worn than mine. Neither of ours are as worn as the ones you used I think I even saw a rawhide patch? Terrific character study...
                    I ordered the #2SC small round shader Razor Tip mentions it's a general pyrography shading for smaller areas. I figured I'd be working smaller to begin with and as I progress I can always add a second shader. Hope I didn't make a big mistake. Yikkes!
                    Thank you for letting me know about which shader you like--it does help me for future purchases.
                    Kathy

Comment

Kathy, you can't make a big mistake if you buy a shader, you will get use out of it. I just found that just about ALL of the shading can be done with the spear shader and it gets into real tight corners that you can't do with the round shaders. If you take a peak at it on my website you will see that the spear shape really makes it great to get into small spaces.

One of these days when I have some time (not sure what that is) I will try to put a small tutorial on using the spear shader.

Comment

Hi Nedra: Well, darn wish I would have looked at your shader tip recommendation first. A spear shader tutorial would be great!
                        I forgot to mention I looked at your gourd art also and loved the Native American Bowl especially and your Santa was charming. I've marked your site along with others in this forum on my Favorites. So I can get to them quickly. Thank you all for having such informative web sites.
                        Kathy

Comment

Hi Kathy, glad you liked my gourds. I'm not really a gourder but perhaps when I retire I will do more experimenting. I'm hoping to have a gourd class at the Pyrography Festival so perhaps I'll sit in on it. I do prefer wood, but it's nice having options.

I'm working on our club's rendezvous for this weekend and then have to get the prospectus done for the Pyrography festival. Should have time after that to perhaps do a short tutorial on using the spear shader. You might alway want to get my book, Pyrography 101. IT's pretty detailed in using it and my shading technique.

Nedra

Comment

Hi Nedra: Thank you for the information and much success with the Pyrograph Festival. I hope you have time for that gourd class too your a busy lady!
                            Will get back to your web site soon..........
                            Kathy

Comment

Kathy my hopes are to retire this year and have more time for my pyrography again. Keep your fingers crossed!

Comment

Working...
                              X