Pyrography & Painted Gourd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pyrography & Painted Gourd

Ice Cream Hi Nedra: Here's your Thank you ice cream cone!
    Oh boy am I happy--I was able to change my small round shader order. I now have on the way the medium spear shader and an extra cord. I'd like to thank you for your 'recommendation' as I feel you saved me some extra work!
    Now just have to be patient and wait--although I have been practing on a small piece of birch. I drew a pheasant onto the board and I'm working with my medium skew and writing tips. I know a shader is a must!
    Nedra I was thinking given the excellent pyrography work you presently do now--when you retire wow even more excellence to come from you.
    Kathy

Comment

Hi Kathy, you will absolutely love the spear shader. I don't know if you have my book but if you have problems figuring out how to use it it's a big help.

I'm really looking forward to my retirement. When I started burning it was out on disability from burnout on the job. It was my therapy and a fine job it did. I was burning 8 hours a day sometimes totally lost in my burnings. I returned to work (not the same job) with the government with the intention of putting in my time (1 year) so I could get my full retirement and that would be it. IT didn't quite work out that way and it's almost 2 years but we're hoping that things get worked out so I can retire before the end of the year. Then I can go back to doing more of what I love....my burning. And yes, I hope to improve on what I'm already doing and perhaps when Orchid Davis comes to our pyrography festival next year she will give me some pointers on doing animals, which is not my area of expertise.

As I already mentioned to you, we are exploring areas for retirement. We like the pacific northwest but the cost of living is sooooo very expensive these days. Housing prices in our area have gone up 20-30,000 in one year and the gas prices here are the highest in the nation. As you can probably see from my burnings I have a deep love for native american art which came from spending 4 years in New Mexico. When retirement comes we will be making a trip down south to explore Arizona and New Mexico as possible retirement locations. It will also make it a bit easier for travel for us, which we plan on doing a lot of!

Enjoy your new pen when it arrives
      Nedra

Comment

Well Nedra, when you come thru Arizona, give us a holler, we will go to the "Golden Corral" and pig out for lunch! LOL
        "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Forget Golden Corral, I want GOOD mexican food...LOLMonkey

That's one of the main reasons we want to go back to the great southwest!

Comment

All this food talk is making me hungry! I do have a off subject question for anyone.
            In woodburning where do you sign your name? In oil painting, watercolor, acrylic, pastel and others you sign your name in a cornor area on the front of the painting painting. Front or back of the woodburning.....Just curious?????
            Kathy

Comment

Kathy, whether it's a woodburning or a painting I sign it on the front in an unobtrusive spot so it does not pull the eye away from the focus...the burning. You might take a peak at some of my work. Like on a rose, I'll sign it just below one of the bottom petals so it's visible but doesn't jump out at you.

Nedra

Comment

I'll add toNedra's excellent comments that for scene work that encompasses the entire wood surface it's usually the lower right hand corner. Include the date also as - L. S. Irish, 05

Susan

Comment

Hi Nedra & Susan:
                  Good suggestions thank you. You both re-enforce what I've always been told and done. The signiture should never take away or distract from the composition.
                  Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by Pyrographer
                    Forget Golden Corral, I want GOOD mexican food...LOLMonkey

That's one of the main reasons we want to go back to the great southwest!
                    OK PaPa Loco"s LOL

Comment

Hi Dave, are you working on any new projects you can share? Oh and Olivia's in Prescott Valley on highway 69 has wonderful Mexican good.
                      Kathy

Comment

nothing earthshattering ha ha, did a santa for ebay, or should say working on it...

Comment

Talking Working on 'something' is better than working on nothing...tee hee

I did have a question for you or probably more like comments. I enjoyed browsing though your 'Arizona Album'. I recognized the coyote gourd plant right away. I have several I've burned and painted on--they are all over the place in Yavapai County. They should be ready to harvest around October...haven't tried to grow any though. The other comment was about the rocks near the road--are some of them carved faces? I sware I can see what appears to be Indian faces. Or my eyes were playing tricks on me.
                          I'm nearing completion on my lantern I'm woodburning I'll upload it when I get it finished and comments for improvement.
                          Your pine santa is really cool, did you paint the eyes or are they glass. If they are painted great job because they look so real. Nice walking sticks too!
                          Kathy

Comment

I paint the eyes, no glass...and the rocks....guess you are seeing things ha ha.....we have a box full of coyote gourds ....haven't done a thing with them !

Comment

LOL--guess my eyes must have been playing tricks...as for the coyote gourds they make really nice Christmas ornaments or they look great stacked in a bowl. If you decide to try burning there thin skined easy does it with the pen. By the way I love your front yard landscaping--we have rocks and DG front and back oh ya some plants too . We just sold our lawn mower in a garage sale.
                              OK back to the lantern....
                              Kathy

Comment

Working...
                              X