quill nib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quill nib

I just bought a Colwood quill tip and now I can't remember why I got it. I'm into carving and texturizing small birds, but the tip doesn't seem to get very hot and I don't know why I got it.
    Help
    Thanks,
    Helen

Re: quill nib

if the tip doesn't get hot, its not making good contact. Is it a fixed tip or changeable?
    "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

It's a fixed tip. I guess it's not supposed to really get too hot. It's shaped like a flat diamond pointed thing. I don't know how to use it. I suppose you're to "iron" the side of the shaft, depress the wood but not burn or scorch it.

Thanks for getting back,

Helen

Comment

Helen,

This is just a thought here. Recently I have been working on several burnings and having some problem with my burner heating properly. After taking a little time to figure out why I realized that it was because our air conditioner was running full force ... stealing some of the power to my burner. Our area has had a very hot summer and we are experiencing minor brown out throughout the region.

I moved my burning time to the early morning hours when the AC was down on low and instantly my burner was back to normal.

It's just a thought and may have nothing to do with your new nib ... but I wanted to share this in case it might be the same for you.

Susan

Comment

you also can lightly sand the tips on the cord you are using, sometimes those get a little dirty, or I have even just jiggled them in the plug and they started making contact.
          "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Working...
          X