X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish
    replied
    re: Walnut Hollow Versa-Tool

Here's my finished practice board. And ... Walnut Hollow did it! ... I have a strong, clear tonal value scale with each pen tip by just using the temperature setting on the cord. Very nice!

Two out of five of the pen tips created a clear pale tonal value in the low to low-medium temperature range, the universal and flow tips. By the low-medium temperature setting I have clearly visible burns for all five tips. Only one tip did not develop clear, strong lines on my practice board and that was the tapered tip. However, the tapered tip has an extremely fine point that is nearly as thin as the grain lines for my birch plywood. It may give very different results on a wider grained wood as basswood or butternut.

So ... let's put this puppy to work. I have posted a free pattern, the one that I used for my first Versa-Tool project that you can save to your desktop, print, and use as you follow along.

sepia-chart.jpg
    toucan pattern.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Irish; 01-07-2018, 06:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Irish
    replied
    re: Walnut Hollow Versa-Tool

I want to test how controllable the thermostat is and if it can create a sepia or tonal value scale as compared to one of my variable temperature units - I have a RazorTip and a Colwood that I use on a regular bases.

Tonal value scale = shades of gray (brown for pyro) worked from very pale coffee with cream up to dark chocolate

There are five variables that determine the tonal value of your burning - pen tip, texture stroke, wood or burning surface, the speed of the stroke, and the temperature setting.

Pen tip - fine point pens burn a darker line than wide tipped pens as all of the heat is focused on a smaller area. So a universal tip will burned darker at a low heat setting than the shading tip.

Texture strokes - an open, lacey texture holds lots of unburned area and therefore will be paler than a tightly packed texture.

Burning surface - each surface we use has its own specific pyro tendencies. Birch burns paler at a medium temperature setting because of its tightly packed grain. Basswood burns darker at the same temperature setting as birch because it has a softer, more open grain pattern.

Speed of stroke - slow steady pulls of the pen tip create even dark lines where faster movement at the same temp setting and same pen tip will create paler lines.

So for my test practice board, to see if the new Walnut Hollow Versa-Tool can really do a variable temperature tools job I am using the same texture stroke, burning surface, and speed. My variables are the tool tip and the temp setting.

Row 1 - universal tip
    Row 2 - flow tip
    Row 3 - tapered tip
    Row 4 - calligraphy tip
    Row 5 - shading tip

Above my columns you can see the temp settings. Versa-Tool does not use a numbered temp setting system, instead they have a graduated coloring scale from pale yellow through deep red. As you progress from the yellow to the red the tool tip becomes hotter.

DSC_8336.jpg
    DSC_8355.jpg
    DSC_8365.jpg
    DSC_8375.jpg
    DSC_8387.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Irish; 01-07-2018, 06:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Irish
    started a topic Walnut Hollow Versa-Tool

Walnut Hollow Versa-Tool

Walnut Hollow has a new tool ... well, its the same classic tool handle and the same traditional interchangeable pen tips. But now it has a variable temperature control built right into the cord. The Versa-Tool!

Please see "Standard Disclaimer" at the end of this posting ....

As so many of us, I started my pyrography nearly thirty years ago with a Walnut Hollow. About five or six years ago I purchased another one - not because there was anything wrong with the old, used one but because I wanted to have two tools going at one time each with a different tip. So I was really surprised to see that this standard one-temperature tool has now come into the variable temperature age!

I thought that I might put their new tool through the "test" just as we did t he Colwood Detailer in the Acorn tutorial. I hope that you will join me.

As a rule of thumb I begin any project with a practice board. It lets me warm up my hand, test out a few textures and pattern strokes and gives me a little time to think through the pattern that I am about to work.

For this practice board I am using a 12" x 12" x 1/8" piece of birch plywood, my favorite burning wood. The board has been divided into 1" squares with seven columns and five rows. Each row is for one of the burning tips and I have walked that tip through the different temperature settings using a curved cross hatch pattern.

DSC_8314.jpg
    DSC_8316.jpg
    DSC_8318.jpg
    DSC_8320.jpg
    DSC_8330.jpg

This posting is made with prior permission from out Fearless Leader, BobD.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Irish; 01-07-2018, 06:26 AM.
Working...
X