need advice on razertip pens and tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: need advice on razertip pens and tips

how many pens and what kind should a fella get?i will be burning single feathers,as well as full birds just wondering what pens a fella should get if he buys fixed tip pens

thanks ron

Comment

I'm not a carver but when I do feathers for flat burning I use the side of my HD5MP spear shader. It was a spin off of their quill maker, the 5MC. Their quill maker is one of their best sellers...next to the spear shader!

Comment

Well I might as well get in here with my two cents worth. First , I agree completely with the positive comments on Razer tip system. I have bought over $1000. worth of burning systems, and found none as reliable as Razer tip. Another issue not mentioned here is the cost of pens. Cams pens cost about the same as the other brands, maybe a little less in some cases. Cam will replace the tip on your burning pen for $5.00. I'm now spending about $15 - $20 yr on pens, where before It was costing better than $200 a yr for new pens. His pens last longer, take more punishment, and end up being cheaper by far. I've got the older model SS-D, not as powerful as the newer models, but hope to upgrade in the near future. Hope this helps

Comment

He is absolutely correct and if you care for the pens properly they can last a very long time.

Comment

Hi Yiar,

You have already gotten some excellent input here ... may I add my experiences. I do have both fixed tip razortip pens and interchangeable ones and use both styles. My fixed tips are the writing tip and the small round which have been my basic burning tips. But I also got a nice selection of interchangeable tips. I, personnally, have not had a problem with them conducting an even and steady heat during the burning. I chose the interchangeables because of their price. They are inexpensive enough that I could try different styled tips and then chose which ones I was really going to use over and over again.

So I was able to test out about 8 to 10 interchangeable tips, the specialty and odd shaped ones, for the cost of one fixed tip. Some I will only use occassionally so their being interchangeables is just fine for how I will use them. Now, as my love of burning grows I am slowly purchasing fixed tips in the other styles that I have already tried and know that I will use. Sort of the best of both worlds.

Susan

Comment

It's good to see so many positive comments about our products - we appreciate your support more than you realize. I've been away for the past 10 days, with no internet access, or I would have replied earlier. There's lots of good advice in this discussion so far. I want to clarify a few things concerning our pens, starting with interchangeable-tip pens. Those of you who are referring to interchangeable-tip pens in your replies could be referring to one of two different items; our original #ITH pen or our relatively new #BPH pen. When we started making burners we made an interchangeable-tip pen, part # ITH, that had two brass connectors on the end. These connectors accepted only tips made from 20 gauge (standard) tip wire. The pens worked fine as long as the tip was clean and tightly fitted into the brass tubes. If the tip got loose or even a bit dirty, the tip heat would become erratic and the handpiece sometimes got very hot very quickly. Cleaning and re-installing the tip would help, but sometimes damage inside the brass tube could get so bad that no amount of cleaning or tightening would set things right. When this happens I recommend sending us the pen and we will weld a tip into it for you. There is no charge for welding a tip in if you supply the tip, and a small ($5.00) charge if we supply the tip. The pen then works perfectly. A little over a year ago we replaced the ITH pen with a new model, the BPH. The new BPH pen uses two stainless-steel screw-type connectors, allowing you to securely install tip wire from (heavy) 18 gauge through (very light) 22 gauge. Each connector also has two holding slots, allowing you to install two tips at the same time so you can burn parallel lines easily. Because the screws are removable, you can clean everything easily and excellent contact can always be maintained. The screw connectors also act as an effective heat sink, reducing heating in the pen body. The BPH pen is probably the coolest operating pen ever. So, if anyone tells you that they either like or don't like their interchangeable-tip pen, be sure to determine if they are talking about an older ITH or the newer BPH interchangeable-tip pen. If you have an ITH pen, remember that you can send it to us anytime and we will be happy to weld a tip into it.
              The other thing I would like to clarify is the difference between F (standard) pens and HD (Heavy-duty) pens. Generally speaking, F pens are your best choice for fine detail work and writing tips. They recover their heat better and are cooler on the fingers than most HD pens. The HD pens are much better for applications where you will be using the flat side of the tip (ie. shading and quill-making), because standard tips would be too weak for this type of use. HD pens were originally designed for schools, where students tend to be rather hard on woodburner tips. They take more punishment, but they require higher heat settings and the pen bodies usually get warmer to hold. We recommend using the proper cords for our pens; F pens work best with FL cords (eg CORD1FL) while HD pens work best with HD cords (eg CORD1HD), but either pen will work with either cord. HD pens may not develop enough tip heat for your needs when used with an FL cord. but they will burn.
              I hope that clears these things up. As always, we love to hear from you if you have any questions or comments (or if you just want to show off your latest burned creation), and we always want to make sure you are satisfied with our products, our dealers, and with us. There's more information on our website at www.razertip.com - click on "pyrographic tools" on the left hand side, then click on "FAQ's" for a list of frequently asked questions.
              burning!

Comment

I am a uk resident and currently use a Peter Child interchangeable bit (hot wire) machine and have had some good results from this I have been thinking of purchasing a razertip burner and wondered if this is truly a better machine and will it produce better work than the one i am using

Comment

Hi Victory girl, I don't know much about the Peter Childs but I have several pyro friends who use it and do well. One thing I will mention is that you will be happier with the fixed-tip pens. One of the main things you will find is the ease of changing pens over screwing in the wires. Second you will not be as far awa from your work so you will have better control.

The main thing I think you will find is the variety of tips such as the shaders.

I know that Sue Walters is now a Razertip dealer in the UK and I'm sure she can make some great recommendations on what to buy b ased on your personal needs.

Nedra

Comment

Okay, now I feel totally confused. I have a Detail Master and use the interchangable tips. I also just bought a new vented pen. And I'm currently reading through Sue Walters book and was about to get some new tips. But what I'm reading here is that I should just go with getting new pens instead of tips.
                    So, should I invest in buying three new pens (I want a new writer nib, skew, and spoon shader)instead of new tips?
                    Pol

Comment

Well woodcarvers that change pens frequently may disagree but I always recommend fixed-tip pens over interchangeable tips for a variety of reasons including better heat flow and ease of changing pens over tips. Yes, tips are cheaper but I have never liked changing tips and that's what I started out with.

Most pyrographers will tend to agree with that.

Nedra

Comment

Thanks, Nedra.

Comment

These are good hints and tips but was wondering if I could get some help. I have the Peter child's pyrography kit and wondered what the best way to clean the tips as I burn images as the tips start to clog up etc and need a way to clean them whilst burning and after finished burning but without it costing a small fortune?
                          im also from the UK so need things in UK please.
                          Thanks in advance.

Comment

Most burners will say not to use sandpaper but I have an Optima and clean the tips with a few strokes of 400 grit sandpaper. I burn a lot professionally and as an accent to pyrography and the tips last years with that approach. Again, many don't recommend it but I find it simple, cheap, and inexpensive. FYI
                            Bill
                            Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

I have a burnmaster Hawk with 10 nibs at half the cost. I'm mostly a carver not a burner use it to enhance the carving. I find changing nibs not to be a problem cause at most I use maybe 2-3 nibs for a carving. I thought about buying the razortip but went with burnmaster instead. My friend who only burns has a Eagle and He loves it doesn't care about the changing the nibs.

My 2c

Comment

Hi Daroc , I had a Razor Tip Burner and gave it to my.Daughter and bought a Cole Burner and not a bit sorry. The Free repair service is one reason that I changed , cheaper to buy a new Pen than to send it to them for repair. I also use the Changeable Tips without any problems . I think like the rest of us you will have to make your own decision on the one you like and Afford. Merle

Comment

Working...
                                X