X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIP - Pixie Face

Re: WIP - Pixie Face

Susan,

That is awsome. I love the subtle shading that shapes the mouth and the irises...I'm envious of your talents!

Bob

Comment

Susan,
      What beautiful work!
      Wade

Comment

Susan, that is a wonderful piece. It's a little difficult to see but are you doing this by pointillism? Can you do a close-up of your shading I'd love to see how you do it.
        Nedra

Comment

Thumbs Up Thumbs UpThumbs UpWOW SUSAN I LOVE YOUR PIXIE EXCELLENT START!
          We've been entertaining family from California for the last 5 days and my computer time has been very limited. I'm so pleased to see you sharing a WIP with us. In my opinion I really don't see at this point anything not going right with your burn. I love the large eyes and pointy ears. The head piece of the hair work well to frame the face. The clothing is really nice too...I'm sure you'll have a lot of folks wanting this pattern for sure. Good idea working in mid tonal range--hard to remove those very dark burns if at all. Looking forward to the next progress images.
          Kathy

Comment

You are one amazing artist Susan. I just love the pixie face the way you are able to achieve depth with shading is nothing short of remarkable. An absolutly wonderful piece oh to have that kind of talent. Thanks for sharing it with us I am still to start my first burning but after seeing your work I have to admit I am a little intimidated.
            ColinThumbs Up
            Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
            Jackson, MS

Comment

Looks great... someday I will have to try wood burning. First I will have to learn to drawn, then learn about shading, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Comment

Susan, sounds like you and Mike make a terrific team. Me too, I love the smell of the wood burning.
                Company is gone so getting the house back in order so I can sneak out to the garage. Hubby's out with search and rescue looking for a lost hiker, so it's just me and the dog. Sure glad your free to do some burning cause your WIP is so informative. As always your work is excellent and you set the bar high and something to thrive toward.
                Kathy

Comment

The main reason I got into woodburning in the first place is the smell of the burning wood.

Susan, I absolutely love burning on Italian Poplar but do not like birch at all. IT's easier to burn on it and less grain to fight. I've added a picture of some IRis I did several years ago on Italian Poplar. It was fun doing and easy to work with.

If I have time tonight I will post a close up of one of my portraits so you can all see how I do the shading. It's interesting to see the different techniques.

Nedra

Comment

I'm goofing off at work and have a few minutes so I'm going to try to post this now.

Here is a close-up of a face that I did. Hopefully you recognize him!!!

My technique is a bit different than Susan's. I use a spear shader for everything I do and my shading is done with a smooth stroke with the shader almost flat (the side you are not using is raised only about 10 degrees off the wood). The touch-down and landing are critical so that there are no "dreaded blobs". As I tell people in class...think of the pen as an airplane and make sure that it is moving as it touches down and lands on the wood, then keep going with the stroke until you run out of heat so the shading loses the color gradually. It gives a soft, natural appearance to the shading.

Hopefully you can see it in this photo.

Comment

Susan,

That's an excellent tutorial you've just done on doing the human face and head!

Since I'm currently taking a drawing course, I can comprehend the dynamics of what your describing. A casual observer doesn't see the negative spaces, shared edges and all the tonal values that make art stand out and become unique.

Since you have invited other's to post portraits, I'd like to show two pics that I did of my granddaughter last year right after I purchased my new wood burning outfit. They were burned on basswood.

She was 2 yrs old at the time and was sitting on a curb. I didn't try to do any of the back ground, just the head & torso. In the one pic, she had her lower lip curled outwards and I had a lot of trouble in seeing it the right way.

I never had done a portrait before these.

I know that they don't compare to the quality of Susan's work!

I just wanted to show that woodburning isn't really all that hard to do, so don't think that it is beyond your abilities.

Brianb....

Comment

Susan, I'd love to see a close-up of Mel too....real close!Ms Smile

Comment

Thumbs Up Brian, wonderful work first time out you really captured this beautiful little one. Have you done any more portraits? Please share.
                          Thumbs UpNedra, I remember seeing your portrait of Mel on your website and thought at the time it was just great. The iris are really well done.
                          Thumbs UpSusan, she is really coming along can't wait to see the finish!
                          Kathy

Comment

You guys scared me, till I went back and looked at the thread. Whew! I said close up of Mel? Anyhow beautiful work folks. I asked Santa for a new woodburner this year and I'll be messing with it around January I hope.

Also I'm about finished with the Santa I carved. Its my own design, I'll probably post it tomorrow sometime so you can check it out. Indian123
                            Mel

Comment

Sorry, I don't have any more portraits done.

I just finished this up tonite for school tomorrow.

A little whimsical scene I done in compressed charcoal.

Acutally, I'd rather be woodburning.

Susan, Your work is just awesome!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X