English Spaniel WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English Spaniel WIP

Hi All, today I finally got back to my burning of my son-in-laws Christmas present. But before I started I scanned in most of the composition to share a work in progress with you before I moved on to the next step. As the birch panel is 12 x12 inches I couldn't get the total composition but enough to share the main subject 'Mandy'. What I've planned for each side of the subject are cattails which Mandy spent a lot of time in and around. I also burned in a border about 1/2 inch from each side edge. Mandy was a wonderful pal and lived to be 17 years old and passed peacefully after goodbye's were said.
    As always I value your thoughts and comments for improvement.
    Kathy

Re: English Spaniel WIP

That is looking wonderfull Mottles!! After christmas I am going to have to get my woodburning station oiut and try soem of that myself!
    GaryMc Talking

Comment

Beautiful! Just beautiful! What a nice tribute!
      Wade

Comment

Beautiful eyes, Kathy! You have the dark colored patches around the eyes and the shading in the deeper set areas nicely captured, there is just enough color change between the two tones. She is looking right at us!!!!!

Can you post the photo of Mandy that you are using for the bases of the burning ... it would help us watch.

And thanks to posting her as a WIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Susan

Comment

Wonderful expression ....and thanks for sharing this one with us. I shall be following it closely. I have only done one burning of my dog and would like to improve on the results. With all of the wonderful burners here, I am learning hand over fist. Thank you all.

Bob
          Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

I always love to see the saggin' tongue of a dog which is usually the sign of a happy, welcoming, and want-to-be-loved pooch... as long as visible fangs aren't thrown into the mix! Spaniels are such great friends and pals.

Looks like you're well on the way to another beautiful piece of work and thanks for reminding me that Christmas (i.e. gift making) is just around the corner!
            Dave Brock

Comment

Gary: Thank you, and I'm looking forward to seeing some 'Retry' burns. If you enjoy woodburning as much as your carving it will be great.
              Wade: Thank you, I just hope it turns out or I have to rethink my Christmas gift! LOL
              Susan: Thank you too, Mandy's eyes were really interesting and I hope I could capture them. Sorry I should have included the photo I'm working from I usually do. duh! I converted the color photo into grayscale to help me draw and burn easier (value patterns).
              Bob: Thank you, as I'm really new to woodburning I have found it really helpful to share in this forum. I have learned a lot from everyone else sharing too. This is such a terrific forum and I feel so fortunate to have found you all. I'm really pleased that our sharing is encouraging you and maybe you will share your burnings too. Cheers By the way welcome back hope all went well with your surgery.
              Lightenbolt: Thank you, to woodburn or paint a portrait of Mandy without her tongue hanging out would not be her. She was a very sweet natured happy girl. LOL, Christmas is not far off and you welcome for the reminder. tee hee......

Thank you all again,
              Kathy

Comment

Smile Hi All, here is an update on the work I did today. I also included an image of the entire panel. As the original image is very dark in places I have to rely on some books I have on drawing dogs. I want to be as accurate as my ability will take me. I've had experience with drawing and painting dogs but never woodburning. At times it's a little intimadating but I will get over it! lol
                I'll work on it again tomorrow and post an update tomorrow evening.
                Thanks for looking,
                Kathy

Comment

Kathy, What great cheek bone structure!!!!! His nose just pops forward from the dark areas in the ears and under the eye brow ridge.

You, Good Lady, have no reason to get shy of the burning at this point in the work. The worst is done and you did it just fantastically! So all you need to do now is finish off the fun stuff of all that flowing hair.

Susan

Comment

Great job Kathy, still can't wait to see the finished product!
                    GaryMc

Comment

Kathy, great job. She's really starting to come alive!
                      Nedra

Comment

Susan: Thank you, you are right about the hard part being over. As with painting I like to start the eyes first and work my way outward. So many times if I can get the eye structure, surrounding bone and shading right then all else falls into place. As they say 'eyes are the mirror of (or to) the sole' and she had great heart and sole.
                        Gary: Thank you, will update this evening
                        Nedra: Thank you too, I appreciate you looking and commenting. Question I'm presently using a small writing tip--what size Razor-tip writing pens do you carry? Geez I know your busy I'll go to your website.

Thanks again,
                        Kathy

Comment

Hi Kathy, I carry all the sizes: 9, 9S and 9XS (this one is sharp, but can be sanded smooth, and intended for tagua nuts and miniatures)

Comment

Hi Nedra, thank you for answering my question...I'll have to check to see what number my tip is...
                            Kathy

Comment

I not only enjoy seeing the progress on this heartfelt and beautiful piece, but also the responses from those touched by it.

Wonderful work of art.
                              Thor
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X