English Spaniel WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: English Spaniel WIP

Hi Thor, and thank you so much for your wonderful compliment. I love to do work that touches the heart or brings fond memories. I know I'll see a grown man with tears in his eyes after he opens his present Christmas morning. Mandy was special.......
    By the way I visited your website and you do remarkable work. I was amazed that you did so many carvings all in one summer. Beautiful work!
    Kathy

Comment

Hi All:

Here is update number three, didn’t get to work on it yesterday. Instead felt I’d better work on my search dog oil painting commission. But today did get a chance to work on Mandy again. I’m finding it hard to choose between painting and woodburning. I do find myself wanting to burn wood more than paint. Grin

OK sorry for the scraggy looking ears but this is going to take sometime. The English Spaniels tend to have longish strands of hair, but until they are all nicely rendered they look sort of funny. Kind of like a bad hair day... I did fill in the medium and lighter value on the tongue and I’m in the process of defining the gums. Also I need to establish a better value division on the ear folds (viewers left).

This time I’m not going to tell you I’ll work on my woodburning and post an update tomorrow night. Best laid plans and all that......grin

As always I appreciate your thoughts and comments

Kathy

Comment

Yep! That's exactly the way a spaniel's hair looks. Every day is a wild hair day. Beautiful progress, Kathy! I don't see any problems with the ear folds ??? You've got great depth in that area and, of course, the outer hair ... looks great to me.

Susan

Oh! The tongue rolls forward wonderfully.
        Lora

Art Designs Studio: https://www.artdesignsstudio.com/
        LSIrish.com: https://www.lsirish.com/
        CarvingPatterns.com: https://www.carvingpatterns.com/

Comment

Talking Thanks Susan, maybe I'm being to critical will re-evaluate my thoughts on the ear. Our daughter one day put hair gel on the wispy hairs on the top of Mandys head. She looked so funny without the little wispy hairs going here and there. lol I enjoyed doing the shading on the tongue which has about four different values. For most of this woodburning I'm using my writing tip and just today used my shader on the tongue and parts of the ears.
          One of my gourding pals who comes over on Tuesdays brought her Razortip and I gave her a couple of birch panels to work on. She had burned gourds but never wood so she was game to give it a try. Well, I think we have another burner in the works. She really took to it and wants to learn more. My other pal who also comes over on Tuesdays was absent today. Probably a good thing because she's a die hard pencil artist and thinks that is the only medium. I love pencil work too, but there are other mediums to explore. grin
          Snorkel With plenty of ventilation my pencil pal will survive us other two pyro's. tee hee
          Kathy

Comment

Kathy, that is fantastic! What a wonderful gift it will be!! I love watching her 'come to life' through your talented fingers! Thanks for sharing her, can't wait to see the finished work! Deborah

Comment

Thanks Deborah, I appreciate your generous compliment and I hope I can have a good finish. I don't want to have to explain to my daughter why my son-in-law won't be getting this Christmas present. urghhhhh
              Kathy

Comment

Kathy,
                I must have been asleep or too busy or is it old age I cannot believe that I am looking at this thread for the first time. Wonderful work and such a wonderful tribute to such a loyal friend. It is hard when they pass but nice to remember the great times and joy they have provided while they are here. I am impressed with how well you have captured Mandy I just looked at the real picture and your work and can feel the love you had for her. Again sorry I gapped this thread completly I will pay more attention in the future.
                Colin
                Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
                Jackson, MS

Comment

QUOTE: Kathy,
                  I must have been asleep or too busy or is it old age I cannot believe that I am looking at this thread for the first time.

LOL Colin, I feel the same way sometimes--just don't know how I missed seeing my fellow WCI threads and posts. Like you I do try to catch up!
                  Thank you so much for your nice compliment and yes I love Mandy. Our house was her second home when the kids went away on trips. At the time we had two dogs our selves and when the three dogs got together it was all out play time--they even slept together. Geez I loved all those dogs---miss them all.
                  Kathy

Comment

Kathy, I'm really enjoying watching this work in progress! What a beautiful gift this will make. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Big Smile---Thank you bygeorge I'm very pleased folks are following my WIP. I really feel it's important to show how each person goes about working on their burning. It's also helpful to have extra sets of eyes who might see something you missed. And if you agree or don't agree it makes for a good learning discussion.
                      Kathy

Comment

Kathy, you are absolutely right. I think it's wonderful to be able to share with others how we do our work and help people to learn. I also agree that getting other eyes to look at our work helps us to see things that perhaps we might miss. Whenever I finish a piece I set it aside for several days and look at it from a distance. I often see things that I missed while working on it because your so close to it you don't get to see the "bigger picture".

One trick I learned when I was doing a portrait and couldn't quite figure out what was wrong...I hold it up in front of a mirror and look at it in the mirror. I saw that the nose was slightly crooked (but didn't see it looking at it straight on) and was able to fix it.

Nedra

Comment

QUOTE: Thumbs Up One trick I learned when I was doing a portrait and couldn't quite figure out what was wrong...I hold it up in front of a mirror and look at it in the mirror. I saw that the nose was slightly crooked (but didn't see it looking at it straight on) and was able to fix it.

Yes, Nedra I have used this technique almost in every painting and sculpture I have done. Some how seeing your painting in reverse just makes the errors jump out at ya. Actually it would be the same with woodburning designs too and maybe even relief carving. It's like having a second person critique your work.

I do truely believe there should be no mystery to any type of art work. And I do include woodburning and carving art work because it is ART! Non of us would be where we are without someone else sharing their knowledge. I think the WIP's go a long way in taking some of the mystery out of how another artist goes about creating their art. If someone is struggling in a certain area of their work and your WIP helps them overcome their struggle then that is what it's all about. Or even if your WIP encourages someone to create their own piece of art isn't that great. Big Smile
                          Kathy

Comment

Kathy and Nedra ... great points!!!! But I am part of the choir here.

I think that WIP's also make you, the artist, really consider what you are doing and why. When we are posting a project at a certain stage, whether it is a mapping stage or shading stage or even I have run out of time to work today stage, we are also writing out in words where we are and what we have just done. So, at least for me, by working as a WIP I am paying much closer attention to both my work and the reason I just did what I just did.

For me it's a great way to figure out what techniques work for me and which don't ... so which techniques am I going to use in the next project. So being just a touch selfish and self-centered here WIPs aren't just for everyone else ... as a poster I get an awful lot of learning out of posting a Work In Porgress.

On another forum (WetCanvas) that uses WIP's I have done over the years a few WIPs that just went to "Whosits in a Hand Basket" and they were probably the ones that I learned the most. Not every WIP ends up with a Division Winning Work ... some end up headed directly towards the trash bin. Yet being able to talk out what happens, what might have been done different, what changes could have been made are where the real learning starts.

Susan
                            Lora

Art Designs Studio: https://www.artdesignsstudio.com/
                            LSIrish.com: https://www.lsirish.com/
                            CarvingPatterns.com: https://www.carvingpatterns.com/

Comment

QUOTE:Kathy and Nedra ... great points!!!! But I am part of the choir here.

Thumbs Up Susan, you are first seat oh wait a minute that is band and orchestra. Just wanted to say you made some good points too. I really don't think it's being selfish on your part or anyone else's part to benefit from your WIP. It just gets back to learning and sharing your success and challenges. I love WIP's like you and other's I learn so much from them (theirs or mine). More often than not a better way to get the same result.

Comment

Irish, Nedra, Mottles,

All I can say is your three ladies are fantastic burners.

Comment

Working...
                                X