English Spaniel WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: English Spaniel WIP

Beautiful portrait Jax. Dogs have such expressive eyes, they tell you everything through them. Well done.

Bob
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Title: ‘Mandy’

Medium: Pyrography on birch panel

Size: 12 x 12 inches

Well, it’s been a long haul for this one but I think it’s time to say it’s finished. I know my son-in-law will have tears in his eyes when he opens it Christmas morning. Mandy was very special to him and they were real pals.

Some thoughts: I’d have to say my biggest struggle with this portrait was the chest fur. I wish I wouldn’t have started with detailing individual hairs first. I think if I would have gone in with the spear shader first the results would have been a more softer look. But these are the things you learn and I’ll be wiser next time.
      I also had some problems with the birch minor bowing so I’ve had to keep weight on the panel during sessions. Have any of you had this problem? I have to wonder if because I bought birch at Home Depot in a large sheet and we cut it ourselves. Maybe the panels one buys already precut cut sizes might be the way to go? Comments? What do you buy?

As always I value your comments. I'm waiting for the frame to be delivered it's a white knuckle time as you hope I have chosen well.

Kathy

Comment

Kathy,
        He's going to love it so much, I'd suggest someone lick his cheek!
        Wonderful work!
        Wade

Comment

Hi Wade, thank you and that's a heck of an idea. Well, lets see Mandy does have a replacement. His name is Luke and he's a big beautiful golden retreiver. OK now how do I cue Luke to give Kent a big lick on the cheek just at the right time? hummm thinking.....
          Kathy

Comment

Beautiful work Jax and Kathy
            Kathy thats going to be a great gift for your son-in-law.
            Mel

Comment

Great job Kathy. He'll love the portrait I'm sure. You sure have an eye for detail. Well done.

Bob
              Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Originally posted by MelNM
                Beautiful work Jax and Kathy
                Kathy thats going to be a great gift for your son-in-law.
                Mel
                Hi Mel, thank you it's such a relief to have it completed. The frame arrived late Wednesday another relief. After I get it framed I'll take another image and upload it. I order my frames from a catalog and it's always effy as to color. Lucked out I like it!
                Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by squbrigg
                  Great job Kathy. He'll love the portrait I'm sure. You sure have an eye for detail. Well done.

Bob
                  Hi Bob, thank you--I really feel he will like it too. Thumbs Up I have always felt that you really have an eye for detail more so than I.
                  Kathy

Comment

Smile Hi All:
                    I was getting ready to wrap my son-in-laws 'Mandy' when I thought maybe you'd like to see how I framed it.
                    I use an Online framing company called 'Graphik Dimensions Ltd.' and have for many years. In case your interested their online address is www.pictureframes.com
                    The frame I chose was one of their Town & Country designs which is rustic barnwood. I thought it fit the subject nicely. Can't wait to see my son-in-laws face Christmas morning.
                    Merry Christmas,
                    Kathy

Comment

Kathy,

Your frame choice was perfect. Gotta love the "depth" of the piece you created. A tribute to your fine work!
                      When I cut myself, I bleed sawdust!
                      Please view my carving website and blog site: http://3crosseswoodcarving.com
                      My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/3CrossesWoodcarving
                      My Email: [email protected]
                      My Face book Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/3Cros...g/267742984970

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/3CrWoodcarving
                      My Etsy Store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/garymcdaniel

Comment

Hi Tony, thank you
                        It's always a guess when you order online or from a catalog that artwork and frame will be compatable. I think by burning a border around the subject it really helped add depth.
                        Merry Christmas,
                        Kathy

Comment

It came out real nice Kathy I bet he'll love it, if he feels the same way about his dog as I do mine, I know he will.

Comment

Hi Mel, thank you.
                            My son-in-law and daughter loved Mandy (14 yrs. old) very much and when they had to put her down it broke their hearts. They now have a Golden Retreiver who has helped heal their loss a bit. As with all our pets we make them family and mourn for a long time--if not forever.
                            Merry Christmas,
                            Kathy

Comment

I'm back from California.....
                              Thumbs Up Hooray! My son-in-law loved his 'Mandy' portrait. He was very touched and showed it to all on Christmas Day. LOL
                              Thanks everyone for your comments and support while I was working on this portrait. It was truely a gift from the heart...my heart.
                              Kathy

Comment

Glad to hear it! Well deserved, that was a beautiful pc of work. Sounds like you made their Christmas.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                                X