Golden Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden Eagle

I finally finished (I think) the golden eagle I started months ago. It took a back seat to the commission I just finished but I think it's done. Golden eagle's feathers are so different than the bald eagles and this piece had lots of detail in the feathers that are not there in the feathers of bald eagles.

I'm planning on entering it in the woodcarving show coming up next month. I'm happy with the piece but since I won Best of Division at the last show I'm now having to enter at the Expert level and all the judges do that level and boy those judges sure do pick things over at that level. Hubby has been apprenticing to be a judge and he warned me so I'm prepared. One thing I like about the shows here, the judges don't just award ribbons if your the only one in a category. They judge each piece on it's merits regardless of whether it's the only one there and if there are no blue ribbons in a category that's the way it goes. Guess I'll be happy if I get any ribbon.

Comments and/or suggestions are appreciated. It will sit until the weekend before I apply the finish to it so I can be sure I'm happy with it.

Nedra

Re: Golden Eagle

nice job nedra

if the judges dont give you a ribbon for that they need glassesThumbs Up

ron

Comment

Thumbs Up Nedra, beautiful work on the golden eagle it's feather's, eyes and beak. Heck great job on everything. Will keep my fingers and toes crossed for a favorable award from the judges. I know in painting you never know for sure what the judges see in one painting they don't see in another. I think it might be the case in woodburning also. Your work is so excellent the judges will see that for sure. Keep us posted!
      Kathy

Comment

Nedra, That's a true winner. I can't see any changes that I would make. You have very strong form to the bone structure under the feathers. The eye set is dead on and the beak rolls perfectly. Great job ...

Susan

Comment

Thank you everyone and my fingers are crossed hoping I come away with a ribbon. It will be interesting to see what the judges think and since it's my first entry at the expert level it will be nerve-wracking.

This will be my last show and I will be out of commission burning as well for a while. I'm having surgery on 11/23 and don't know how long I will be laid up.

I'm going to start a burning of an adobe hopefully this weekend. I have a box filled with photos from when I lived in New Mexico and I found one that really spoke to me!

Will keep everyone posted on the show results and thanks for boosting my confidence.

Nedra

Comment

Magnificent and majestic you have really captured the Golden Eagle. Excellent burning I am just amazed how you girls get the depth that you achieve in these burnings. Nedra if I was the judge looking at it from the photograph I can find absolutly nothing wrong with the burning, a true work of art.
            Colin
            Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
            Jackson, MS

Comment

Colin, I pray the judges are as kind as all of you.

Comment

Nedra- Beautiful work and such detail. You are a true great artist. Ron

Comment

That is a beautiful eagle...everything is right on it! great proportion, shading, outstanding, ....if it doesn't win a ribbon......well, it will!!
                  "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

I can't thank you all enough. Today has been a thoroughly great day. I came home to a message on my answering machine from the lady who commissioned the lovers I just finished. She had received it and said she was awestruck by it when she opened it. She said I didn't have to return the call but I did. Well, she just said she thought I was amazing and awesome and couldn't think of enough adjectives. She added that it wasn't enough that it exceeded her expectations but the fact that I won the awards and sent her the ribbons just was too much for words. Well, needless to say I'm just about floating on cloud 9 and might be there for some time. I am just thrilled with all the flattery and I can't thank you all enough for your kind words and support. Bouncing S

NedraHappy

Comment

Nedra, your client is absolutely right in everything she said. That was very generous of you to give her the ribbons too! 'YOU ROCK'
                      Kathy

Comment

Thanks Kathy, I thought the ribbons belonged with the burning and I have so many ribbons sitting around collecting dust that I'm not going to miss it. I know I won it and that's what's important. The fact that it was important to her makes it all that much more important to me that it went along with the burning!Bouncing S

Nedra

Comment

If you didn't receive any ribbons, the judges were wacko! But glad they saw a true artist and on majestic burning. Congrats to you Nedra and yes, I believe that was beyond the call of an artist giving up the ribbons and the customer will be eternally gratefull for your work and action. Goes to show the caliber of an artist you are.

Of course, I have seen your burning up close and in person and have admired your work for as long as the first time I saw them In the Tusla Carving show at the fair grounds.
                          My hat is off in salute to you.

Comment

Hi Ken and thank you for the kind words. I haven't won anything for the eagle (yet). I'm entering it next month at the show. The ribbons I gave away were for the "Tender Moments" I completed a couple of weeks ago.

BTW, we are hoping to be back your way in the future. We are hopeful when my retirement comes through to move to Albuquerque. May get back to your show again some day.

Comment

Working...
                            X