Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pyro-Bunnies On Gourd

Hi All:
    Geez where is the time going! Like you all I'm busy and probably like you I've got a zillion irons in the fire. One I just completed--a Birthday present for my lovely mother-in-law (and I sincerely lean the lovely part she's great).
    My mother-in-law lives in Arizona too and around her place are cotton tails, jack rabbits and quail to name a few. Well, she loves watching the little cotton tails hop around her patio. So I thought what better gift than a gourd with cotton tail bunnies entitled "Mom's Bunnies"
    It's 7" Tall and 6" across the top with a pine needle rim. The bunnies and foilage was burned on using my Razortip burner and writing tip, the Native American design under the rim I used my spear shader. I used a polyacrylic varnish to protect the design. The pine needles (from my yard) were attached with artificial sinew.
    Here is a link to a tutorial on how I attach my pine needs to the rim of the gourd.
    http://www.colorjourney.com/id26.htm

Re: Pyro-Bunnies On Gourd

Beautiful Kathy, I know she's going to love it. I know what you mean about time, or lack there of. I'm just hoping that when I'm recouperating from my surgery I can get some burning done. I have had absolutely no time to burn lately and I hate it!

Nedra

Comment

Your mother in law is going to love it, what a great gift for her, I have a bunch of pine needles in the front yard, maybe that could be a good excuse for not picking them up you reckon? Bouncing S

Comment

Hi Nedra, thank you my mother-in-law has been like a mom to me. She's loves anything I make for her so I'm pretty sure she'll like it. I was going to make a dry floral arrangement for it but decided to wait and we'll do it together.
        Will be keeping good thoughts for a speedy recovery from your surgery and for some burning time for you.

Hi Mel, thank you too--LOL Mel, Mel, Mel if your going to weave pine needles you gotta pick them up. So don't think that dog will hunt!

Thank you both again, you all are so good for my ego.Wink
        Kathy
        PS: Did you carve your sun face in your avatar? I like it....

Comment

I carved my Mother-In-Law a new broom stick! So she could retire her old one!!! Too many cracks in it, from wacking me with it as she flew by! Ah.....peace at last, she in an senior witches home now, at least a province/state away, so her spells and curses wouldn't effect me like they use to!

Ya got to love Mothers-in-laws........or so my wife tells me! Funny though, we don't seem to visit my Mom a lot?

Bob
          Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Kathy,

Beautiful bunny burning!!!!! And your pattern size is perfect for the gourd's belly, not too big and not too small. Great job as usual.

I stopped over and read your tutorial. It's very clear and easy to read. That's a nice wrapping technique. Thank you for sharing that with everyone. I have done a couple of pine needle trims for my gourds and I have always soaked the needles for a few moments in water before wrapping them. The soaking helps to prevent breakage and it helps the needles to conform to the curve of the rim more easily.

Great job Lady!

Susan

Comment

We live in pine needle heaven here in the northwest. I guess I need to read your tutorial so that perhaps I can do something constructive with them instead of cursing them everytime the dogs drag them in.

Anyone want a ton of pine needles????

Where is your tutorial? I have been pondering doing some gourds one of these days. I did a couple a few years ago but then decided I like wood better. I'm now open to experimenting again so I need to learn more about working on them, decorating with pine needles, etc.

Think of me on Wednesday when I'm in the hospital. I'll be there for about 3 days and couch/bed ridden for 3 weeks...bummer! Sad Not sure if I can burn while I'm lying down!Head Bange

I will be home from work for 6-12 weeks so once I'm allowed off the couch I will have time to burn! Wink I'm already sketching out my next project...........Iris!!! The last iris burning I did was bought by the Iris society for their auction last year...I'm kinda hoping they buy this one too but if not, it doesn't matter, I love burning flowers!

Nedra

Comment

LOL Bob, I was laughing so hard as I was reading your mother-in-law comments it bought tears to my eyes. I do hear of mother-in-laws from hell but fortunately I was the lucky one it didn't happen to me. Hubby's mom will be 87 the end of this month and looks 77.
                Kathy

Comment

Ahhhhhh, thank you Susan and thank you for reminding me I left a step out. I do soak my needles too usally for a couple hours, but no longer. The reason being because there short and if there to limp it's hard to insert into the next set of needles. So will go back and add that info.
                  Really, it's kind of hard to consider my technique weaving it's more inserting. tee hee but it works for me and presents pretty well. Also making that second sinew wrap secures the needles even better.
                  I need to add also that any needle that is sticking out or up can just be sniped with some scissors.
                  Kathy

Comment

Here ya go Nedra http://www.colorjourney.com/id26.htm

I have some pineneedles that a friend brought back from California that are really long. I'm anxious to try them as all the ones I've used are from my front yard and only 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches long. Also I have a deer grass plant that hubby trims each year before winter. It has these great long blades I want to try for a rim. Also I've heard you can use rosemary for rims also. So much I want to do and like everyone else this time of year so little time to do it.
                    I hope you'll be able to get back to burning quickly after your surgery. Please check in and let us know how you are doing. This is a heck of a way to get some rest time. grin
                    Kathy

Comment

whoooeeee dem pyro bunnies! theys bad critters! Apple
                      "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Nedra, glad you liked the M-I-L business...... ..... not everyone has my sense of humor. (Such as my M-I-L ) But seriously, she's a great lady, as long as I keep at least 300 miles between us.

Good luck on your surgery, I am still trying to get back to normal from mine, and haven't done much of anything, and really miss it. Soon though.
                        Bob
                        Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Bob, your too funny. My MIL recently passed and I have to say she's probably in witches heaven (or where ever it is they go). Fine church-going lady who thought anyone not in her church or was not christian was going to h......... (meaning me!!!). Guess hubby thought she owned a broom stick as well so I'm not too concerned about my feelings if her own son thought she needed a broom stick! Can't say that I ever thought she was worth carving a broom stick for! Funny, my hubby did 3 carvings (none of them remotely resembling a broom) for my mom....VERY intersting! Mobster

Hope your doing better from your surgery...must be something in the air, everyone's getting operated on! Is it that we are starting to fall apart!Cowboy

I keep telling everyone that the warranty ran out and now I"m getting extended warranties. A couple of more surgeries and all the body parts will be new!Jester

Nedra

Comment

Thanks Kathy, great tutorial. I guess our pine needles are kinda short. Bummer!

I'm hoping that after the 3 weeks of couch potato I can do a little burning. We shall see how it goes. I'm not going to push it but I am not one to be able to do nothing and this is going to kill me!

Nedra

Comment

Thanks Nedra, glad you enjoyed it--you know it doesn't have to be made from pine needles. There are all sorts of things out there you can weave most all plants that vine work well. By using the double or X binding it will hold anything that drys from falling off. I'm anxious to try some rosemerry it will smell really nice. We have some sage growing in our yard that would work also. hummm another project....
                              Well, I think I'd be hard to keep down after surgery too. I can't just lay around--only if I have a lot of pain and laying down or setting is the only way to reduce it then so be it. Not for long though lol
                              Will keep good thoughts for a speedy recovery.

Big Grin Bob you quack me up---I love your humor. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Kathy

Comment

Working...
                              X