• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stacey's Pyro Christmas Gourd

Title: Stacey's Christmas Gourd
    Medium: Pyrography On Gourd
    Size: 12 inches Tall 8" round at base

Talking Hi all, sure is quite everyone must be busy with the holidays.
    I haven't completed any woodburning of a panel since 'Mandy'. I've been working on home made Christmas gifts. Thought I'd share my daughter Stacey's Christmas gourd I made for her.
    This one is different from the ones your used to seeing but she wanted one with bright color. Go figure! LOL
    Actually this one was harder to do. I had to cover over my pyrography and still figure out how to make the design show though.
    After the usual cleaning the interior (exterior already clean) measured and cut the top. I drew on the Kokopeli design four times evenly around the gourd. Then used my Razortip spear shader to burn in the kokopeli's and the design around the rim. Then I applied a thin wash of brick color leather dye (transparent) over the entire gourd. Let dry overnight. Fortunately the pyrography held true and showed though the leather dye. I then applied two coats of MinWax polyacrylic let dry over night. Then added the pineneedle trim using the artificial sinew. Strung some glass beads on some artificial sinew and stuck the guiena fowl feathers though the last bead. Done!
    As always appreciate your thoughts.
    Kathy

Re: Stacey's Pyro Christmas Gourd

That is very beautiful work.Do you have any other photos showing the rest of the gourd? I also have a gourd about 10 in around. But the colour is a very dark brown. I am not sure if I want to carve or paint it.My wife wants me to paint a Navtivity scene on it, but now I think I will burn it instead. Thanks for the idea!

Comment

Kathy wow what a beautiful gourd really impressive I would also like to see more pictures of it if possible I cant wait for my gourds to dry so I can get at them.
      Colin
      Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
      Jackson, MS

Comment

Originally posted by justanick
        That is very beautiful work.Do you have any other photos showing the rest of the gourd? I also have a gourd about 10 in around. But the colour is a very dark brown. I am not sure if I want to carve or paint it.My wife wants me to paint a Navtivity scene on it, but now I think I will burn it instead. Thanks for the idea!
        Hi, thank you--sorry that is the only image and it's all wrapped up. Sounds like you have a nice gourd to work with. I love burning gourds much more than painting them. I haven't actually carved any gourds. If you use pyrography on your gourd please share with us. I don't know how experienced your are with gourding, but if I can help let me know.
        Kathy

Comment

Hi Colin, thank you too after Stacey opens it Christmas morning I'll try and get some additional pictures. If I can help when your ready to start your gourd project just let me know. I can tell you though I'm not sure I'd burn four kokopeli's again it's a lot of area. My eyes were crossed by the time I finished. LOL.
          Kathy

Comment

Kathy,

That is absolutely beautiful! It never occurred to me to try burning on a gourd. Could you tell me more about "gourding" please? I visited your webpage and your work there is wonderful as well. I liked your instructions on how to attach pine needles to a gourd.

Thank you for sharing!

Comment

Beautiful work Mottles, the feathers really set it off! Gorgeous finish.

Bob
              Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindy
                Kathy,

That is absolutely beautiful! It never occurred to me to try burning on a gourd. Could you tell me more about "gourding" please? I visited your webpage and your work there is wonderful as well. I liked your instructions on how to attach pine needles to a gourd.

Thank you for sharing!
                Hi, first of all thank you for the nice compliment and for visiting my web site--burning on gourds has been around for centuries. Of course in the early days they didn't have the nice burning units me have today. Rather than me trying to tell you more about gourding how about I live you some links to gourding sites. I think you'll find them all interesting. We also had a good discussion in this forum about gourds and how we each work with them. I urge you if you decide to burn on your gourds please wear a safety respirator/mask. The fumes can be toxie to your lungs if unprotected. That rule also goes for cleaning your gourd too. Also I never burn on top of dyes or paints as that can also be toxic.
                http://arizonagourdsociety.com/ http://www.calgourd.com
                http://www.northerndipper.com
                Another way is to do say a google search just put in 'gourds'.

Comment

Thanks Bob for the nice compliment I just love those guinea fowl feather's with their little white dots. grin
                  Kathy

Comment

Very pretty. Good accents and pine around the top too. Thanks for showing it to us.
                    Thor
                    Steve

Comment

Kathy, don't know if you have used it, but KT super sealer, you can put it on and it is designed to be burned through..it comes in clear and white. Cheers
                      "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Hi Thor, thank you I'm glad you like it. I normally follow the contour of the rim with the pineneedles. This time I decided to make a more square look to the rim and I left the pine knots that connect the two needles together. I think you get a smoother effect if you lop them off. I'm trying to figure out how to leave those little dark knots to where they'd all be at the bottom of each start.
                        Kathy

Comment

Hi Dave, how the heck are ya? Raining in Kingman yet?
                          No I haven't heard of KT super sealer but will look into it.
                          Thanks for your suggestion,
                          Kathy

Comment

Rain? whats that? lol no...overcast tho.....
                            "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Yeah not sure what we're going to get either--some rain would be nice. Getting all caught up on your 'Santa Exchange'? Hope you do it again next year cause I'm planning a head I'm starting in January 07. tee hee
                              Kathy

Comment

Working...
                              X