Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stacey's Pyro Christmas Gourd

Kathy,

Thank you! I've made note of those URL's as well as the recomendation of respirator mask it would never have occurred to me!

Comment

A little off subject but not really I have two birdhouse gourds that are in my garage. I got them from a farm green in the fall. Now they have all these big black spots on them but are still very heavy, they still look quite green. they are now frozen what do I do? Bring them inside and let them dry? Leave them there until spring? or throw them in the garbage. I have never dried a gourd so I dont know wondering if you could help.
      Colin
      Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
      Jackson, MS

Comment

I would think you will have to put them somewhere dry for winter...preferably where they thaw out lol....it takes all summer for our little coyote gourds to dry, a big gourd? not sure how long it would take?
        "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Hi Linda, you are most welcome I wasn't sure if you had worked with gourds or not. So decided to add the safety info just in case. Gourds are what I heard die hard gourders call 'the other canvas'. There are so many decorative things you can do with them. If you need any help with your gourd project just let me know. Take a look at this site I gave it to Colin too it's got lots of good info. http://www.jkstacydesigns.com/Tutorials.html One of the links I gave you is for a farm in Canada 'Northern Dipper'.
          Merry Christmas,
          Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by colin_partridge
            A little off subject but not really I have two birdhouse gourds that are in my garage. I got them from a farm green in the fall. Now they have all these big black spots on them but are still very heavy, they still look quite green. they are now frozen what do I do? Bring them inside and let them dry? Leave them there until spring? or throw them in the garbage. I have never dried a gourd so I dont know wondering if you could help.
            Colin
            Hi Colin, I sent you a pm a while back in answer to some questions you had about your gourds. At the time though I didn't realize that your gourds were still green. I've only been gourding for less than one year so there is a lot I don't know about gourds. http://www.jkstacydesigns.com/Tutorials.html She has some good drying tips.
            I have read when harvasting gourds you need to wait until the stem is dry before harvasting or the gourd will rot. Going on the primise that your gourd stems were dry then you can dry your gourds indoors say your garage, workshop (not the house). You could place your gourds inside a paper bag (indoors) and just let it dry over winter. Or I have mine in a cabinet in the workshop in one of those plastic milk crates that's open on all side. Lets air get to the gourds mine are the coyote gourds I harvested in Nov.
            The farms in Arizona and California leave their gourds out of doors all winter on wooden pallets. Course your winter is much different than CA. and AZ.
            I'll ask some gourding friends what they would recommend.
            I started one bottle gourd plant to late and only got one gourd just after fall begain. I waited for the stem to dry and then picked the gourd and now have it drying. There was a great difference in weight from the time it started growing until I cut the stem. It's very light now but still green.
            Hope this helps,
            Merry Christmas,
            Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by Hi_Ho_Sliver
              I would think you will have to put them somewhere dry for winter...preferably where they thaw out lol....it takes all summer for our little coyote gourds to dry, a big gourd? not sure how long it would take?
              Hi Dave, good advise you gave Colin---Terry and I harvested some super little coyote gourds in Congress, AZ. last month. Terry had seen them earlier in the year while on a search & rescue exercise. I told him I wanted to return to the area in late Oct. or early Nov.....WOW what a find they were all over the place--stems nice and dry and turning from green to yellow. We filled up four grocery bags full and didn't even put a dent in the patch. Ever mindful that these little gourds are also food for the wild critters too. So harvest little leave more...once their completely dry the critters don't eat them.
              I'm planning on planting some of my own next spring.
              Talking Merry Christmas,
              Kathy

Comment

Working...
              X