• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mottles
    replied
    Re: Stacey's Pyro Christmas Gourd

Originally posted by Hi_Ho_Sliver
    I would think you will have to put them somewhere dry for winter...preferably where they thaw out lol....it takes all summer for our little coyote gourds to dry, a big gourd? not sure how long it would take?
    Hi Dave, good advise you gave Colin---Terry and I harvested some super little coyote gourds in Congress, AZ. last month. Terry had seen them earlier in the year while on a search & rescue exercise. I told him I wanted to return to the area in late Oct. or early Nov.....WOW what a find they were all over the place--stems nice and dry and turning from green to yellow. We filled up four grocery bags full and didn't even put a dent in the patch. Ever mindful that these little gourds are also food for the wild critters too. So harvest little leave more...once their completely dry the critters don't eat them.
    I'm planning on planting some of my own next spring.
    Talking Merry Christmas,
    Kathy

Leave a comment:

• Mottles
    replied

Originally posted by colin_partridge
    A little off subject but not really I have two birdhouse gourds that are in my garage. I got them from a farm green in the fall. Now they have all these big black spots on them but are still very heavy, they still look quite green. they are now frozen what do I do? Bring them inside and let them dry? Leave them there until spring? or throw them in the garbage. I have never dried a gourd so I dont know wondering if you could help.
    Colin
    Hi Colin, I sent you a pm a while back in answer to some questions you had about your gourds. At the time though I didn't realize that your gourds were still green. I've only been gourding for less than one year so there is a lot I don't know about gourds. http://www.jkstacydesigns.com/Tutorials.html She has some good drying tips.
    I have read when harvasting gourds you need to wait until the stem is dry before harvasting or the gourd will rot. Going on the primise that your gourd stems were dry then you can dry your gourds indoors say your garage, workshop (not the house). You could place your gourds inside a paper bag (indoors) and just let it dry over winter. Or I have mine in a cabinet in the workshop in one of those plastic milk crates that's open on all side. Lets air get to the gourds mine are the coyote gourds I harvested in Nov.
    The farms in Arizona and California leave their gourds out of doors all winter on wooden pallets. Course your winter is much different than CA. and AZ.
    I'll ask some gourding friends what they would recommend.
    I started one bottle gourd plant to late and only got one gourd just after fall begain. I waited for the stem to dry and then picked the gourd and now have it drying. There was a great difference in weight from the time it started growing until I cut the stem. It's very light now but still green.
    Hope this helps,
    Merry Christmas,
    Kathy

Leave a comment:

• Mottles
    replied

Hi Linda, you are most welcome I wasn't sure if you had worked with gourds or not. So decided to add the safety info just in case. Gourds are what I heard die hard gourders call 'the other canvas'. There are so many decorative things you can do with them. If you need any help with your gourd project just let me know. Take a look at this site I gave it to Colin too it's got lots of good info. http://www.jkstacydesigns.com/Tutorials.html One of the links I gave you is for a farm in Canada 'Northern Dipper'.
    Merry Christmas,
    Kathy

Leave a comment:

• Hi_Ho_Sliver
    replied

I would think you will have to put them somewhere dry for winter...preferably where they thaw out lol....it takes all summer for our little coyote gourds to dry, a big gourd? not sure how long it would take?

Leave a comment:

• Colin-Partridge
    replied

A little off subject but not really I have two birdhouse gourds that are in my garage. I got them from a farm green in the fall. Now they have all these big black spots on them but are still very heavy, they still look quite green. they are now frozen what do I do? Bring them inside and let them dry? Leave them there until spring? or throw them in the garbage. I have never dried a gourd so I dont know wondering if you could help.
    Colin

Leave a comment:

• Lindy
    replied

Kathy,

Thank you! I've made note of those URL's as well as the recomendation of respirator mask it would never have occurred to me!

Leave a comment:

• Mottles
    replied

Yeah not sure what we're going to get either--some rain would be nice. Getting all caught up on your 'Santa Exchange'? Hope you do it again next year cause I'm planning a head I'm starting in January 07. tee hee
    Kathy

Leave a comment:

• Hi_Ho_Sliver
    replied

Rain? whats that? lol no...overcast tho.....

Leave a comment:

• Mottles
    replied

Hi Dave, how the heck are ya? Raining in Kingman yet?
    No I haven't heard of KT super sealer but will look into it.
    Thanks for your suggestion,
    Kathy

Leave a comment:

• Mottles
    replied

Hi Thor, thank you I'm glad you like it. I normally follow the contour of the rim with the pineneedles. This time I decided to make a more square look to the rim and I left the pine knots that connect the two needles together. I think you get a smoother effect if you lop them off. I'm trying to figure out how to leave those little dark knots to where they'd all be at the bottom of each start.
    Kathy

Leave a comment:

• Hi_Ho_Sliver
    replied

Kathy, don't know if you have used it, but KT super sealer, you can put it on and it is designed to be burned through..it comes in clear and white. Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Thor
    replied

Very pretty. Good accents and pine around the top too. Thanks for showing it to us.
    Thor

Leave a comment:

• Mottles
    replied

Thanks Bob for the nice compliment I just love those guinea fowl feather's with their little white dots. grin
    Kathy

Leave a comment:

• Mottles
    replied

Originally posted by Lindy
    Kathy,

That is absolutely beautiful! It never occurred to me to try burning on a gourd. Could you tell me more about "gourding" please? I visited your webpage and your work there is wonderful as well. I liked your instructions on how to attach pine needles to a gourd.

Thank you for sharing!
    Hi, first of all thank you for the nice compliment and for visiting my web site--burning on gourds has been around for centuries. Of course in the early days they didn't have the nice burning units me have today. Rather than me trying to tell you more about gourding how about I live you some links to gourding sites. I think you'll find them all interesting. We also had a good discussion in this forum about gourds and how we each work with them. I urge you if you decide to burn on your gourds please wear a safety respirator/mask. The fumes can be toxie to your lungs if unprotected. That rule also goes for cleaning your gourd too. Also I never burn on top of dyes or paints as that can also be toxic.
    http://arizonagourdsociety.com/ http://www.calgourd.com
    http://www.northerndipper.com
    Another way is to do say a google search just put in 'gourds'.

Leave a comment:

• squbrigg
    replied

Beautiful work Mottles, the feathers really set it off! Gorgeous finish.

Bob

Leave a comment:

Working...
X