• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black-Tailed Jackrabbit WIP

Title: Black Tailed-Jackrabbit WIP
    Pyrography on 8 x 10 inch basswood panel
    Hi All:
    I’m doing this for some friends who live in Arizona Jack Rabbit and Coyote Gourd country.
    I haven’t done any wood burning since before Christmas and I must admit it felt good.
    I still have the lower portion (coyote gourd plant) to add. Then it’s a matter of working back and forth to bring up or play down the values. There is a dark grain (foreground) that I will have to try and work-into the coyote gourd plant. I'll get that figured out tonight. I'm thinking just another leaf element will probably work.
    I’m including the Dover Publication illustration I’m working from and my study sketches.
    As always I value your comments, questions and suggestions for improvement.
    Kathy
    Note: If anyone new to pyrograpy/woodburning and want to use the illustration for a learning tool your more than welcome. If you need the illustration larger than the size (400 pixel) shown just send me a PM. If you do decide to use the illustration please share your progress with us. Or if you need help this is the place to come.

Re: Black-Tailed Jackrabbit WIP

Very nice job. I just got a Razortip system, I need to try it out. Keep up the good work and thank you for sharing.

Comment

Looks great so far..........waiting to see the finished burning.

Jax.
      WOOD IS WONDERFUL!

Comment

Whats That: Thank you, I use a Razortip and really like it. What pens did you get with yours? I have the small writing tip, large spear shader and the large skew that came with the unit. The pen that I use the most is the writing tip.
        If you need any help let us know.

Jax: Thank you too, and I'll post when finished.

Kathy

Comment

Nicely done, it's coming right along. Thank you for sharing your progress with us, I love watching pieces come together.

Bob
          Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Kathy, your friends are going to love it! It's really looking great! Thanks for sharing it with us! Deborah

Comment

"Wabbits ewery wher, dadblasted wabbits!" sign Elmer P Fudd esq. Good Job Kathy!
              "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Bob: Thank you, I too like to see how work comes together. More often than not it's a real help to follow along. This one is pretty easy as the illustration has done most of the detail work. There are some final additions I'll make. I normally like to use my own images more challenging for sure. This illustration fit exactly what I was looking for as a gift for two very special folks.

Deborah: Thank you, I sure hope they'll like it too. I haven't burned any wood in a while and it feels good. That doesn't mean I'm giving up on carving just taking a brake. LOL

Dave: Thank you---YOU rascal--you got those pesky rabbits too? Ha, ha
                There all over the place here and the coyote gourds grow that weeds. Have you ever heard of them referred to as 'Buffalo Gourds'? hummmmm

Thanks everyone,
                Kathy

Comment

Yes have heard the term Buffalo Gourds but coyote is more fitting since the female uses the gourds to wean her pups.

Comment

KATHY, great job on the burning and I know your friends will love it....WHATSTHAT good choice in burners. You should have great fun experimenting with it. I look forward to seeing your work.Not sure why I'm having problems posting this message. For some reason my text editing, etc is not working. I apologize if this all ends up together in one paragraph and difficult to read. This is my 3rd and last attempt!!!!Nedra

Comment

Originally posted by Hi_Ho_Sliver
                      Yes have heard the term Buffalo Gourds but coyote is more fitting since the female uses the gourds to wean her pups.
                      Hey Dave, what's the story behind the female coyote and weaning her pups? Sounds interesting.
                      Kathy

Comment

Hi Nedra, thank you I hope my friends like it too. Gee sorry you had so much trouble posting--glad you hung in there though.
                        Kathy

Comment

Final

Hi All, well it's a wrap........all done. It was fun and even better as it's a gift for two very special people.
                          I really appreciate the comments I've recieved and thanks for your freindship.
                          As I'm use to framing paintings only I wonder what is the best wall type hardware for hanging this type of work? What do you use? My other pyrography work I just put on wooden easels.
                          Kathy

Comment

Kathy, the female coyote rubs and rolls on the gourds because they smell so bad (leaves) and it weans the pups from nursing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi_Ho_Sliver
                              Kathy, the female coyote rubs and rolls on the gourds because they smell so bad (leaves) and it weans the pups from nursing.
                              Thanks Dave, wow that must be the coyote way of 'tough love'. LOL
                              Kathy

Comment

Working...
                              X