• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black-Tailed Jackrabbit WIP

'Roadrunner & Yucca'
    5 x 7 inches oval basswood plack
    Pyrography

Hi All, this was a demo I did for some painting friends this week. Thought I'd share it's based on an illustration from one of my Dover books.
    If your new to pyrography and would like to use this illustration let me know. I'll be happy to send you a copy of the illustration via email.
    As always I appreciate your thoughts and comments for improvement.
    Kathy

Comment

Hi Kathy, nice burnings, I'm sure your friends will like the Jack Rabbit, tell them if they don't want it I'll take it. Let me know how you frame it, when your done, I'm interested also.

I started the Raccoon picture you sent me, I didn't do to good of a job copying the pattern, I'm having to do a lot of freehand stuff on it, so its taking a while.
      Mel

Comment

Hi Mel, nice to hear from you and thank you they were fun to do--not as detailed as my earlier works.
        OK to take your time, also watch your heat levels. Two high a heat will scorce the wood. You can always turn the heat level up in incrediments. But if it's to hot it's really hard to reduce a unwanted burn area. In the beginning tracing your pattern onto the wood is good. As you gain experience you'll be able to draw right onto the wood. Not everyone recommends this method...I use a white eraser and a kneaded eraser that doesn't leave smudges from my pencil. The kneaded erasers are nice because you can pull away pieces to make rolled-tips for smaller areas to erase. Before I even draw anything onto my wood I try to work out my drawing problems on tracing paper. Even then there always seems to be a surprise! LOL
        If you need any help just post to this forum or email me.
        Keep going and don't forget to share!
        Kathy

Comment

Great finish to the Jackrabbit!!!!

Jax.
          WOOD IS WONDERFUL!

Comment

Thanks Jax, I was wondering do you hang your pyrography work or place on small easels?
            I need to add some type of hanging hardware on the back of the two I just finished.
            Oh forgot to mention I put two coats of Minwax polyacrylic varnish on the finished works.
            Kathy

Comment

Working...
            X