X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mottles
    replied
    Re: Black-Tailed Jackrabbit WIP

Thanks Jax, I was wondering do you hang your pyrography work or place on small easels?
    I need to add some type of hanging hardware on the back of the two I just finished.
    Oh forgot to mention I put two coats of Minwax polyacrylic varnish on the finished works.
    Kathy

Leave a comment:

• jax
    replied

Great finish to the Jackrabbit!!!!

Jax.

Leave a comment:

• Mottles
    replied

Hi Mel, nice to hear from you and thank you they were fun to do--not as detailed as my earlier works.
    OK to take your time, also watch your heat levels. Two high a heat will scorce the wood. You can always turn the heat level up in incrediments. But if it's to hot it's really hard to reduce a unwanted burn area. In the beginning tracing your pattern onto the wood is good. As you gain experience you'll be able to draw right onto the wood. Not everyone recommends this method...I use a white eraser and a kneaded eraser that doesn't leave smudges from my pencil. The kneaded erasers are nice because you can pull away pieces to make rolled-tips for smaller areas to erase. Before I even draw anything onto my wood I try to work out my drawing problems on tracing paper. Even then there always seems to be a surprise! LOL
    If you need any help just post to this forum or email me.
    Keep going and don't forget to share!
    Kathy

Leave a comment:

• MelNM
    replied

Hi Kathy, nice burnings, I'm sure your friends will like the Jack Rabbit, tell them if they don't want it I'll take it. Let me know how you frame it, when your done, I'm interested also.

I started the Raccoon picture you sent me, I didn't do to good of a job copying the pattern, I'm having to do a lot of freehand stuff on it, so its taking a while.
    Mel

Leave a comment:

• Mottles
    replied

'Roadrunner & Yucca'
    5 x 7 inches oval basswood plack
    Pyrography

Hi All, this was a demo I did for some painting friends this week. Thought I'd share it's based on an illustration from one of my Dover books.
    If your new to pyrography and would like to use this illustration let me know. I'll be happy to send you a copy of the illustration via email.
    As always I appreciate your thoughts and comments for improvement.
    Kathy

Leave a comment:

• Mottles
    replied

Originally posted by Hi_Ho_Sliver
    Kathy, the female coyote rubs and rolls on the gourds because they smell so bad (leaves) and it weans the pups from nursing.
    Thanks Dave, wow that must be the coyote way of 'tough love'. LOL
    Kathy

Leave a comment:

• Hi_Ho_Sliver
    replied

Kathy, the female coyote rubs and rolls on the gourds because they smell so bad (leaves) and it weans the pups from nursing.

Leave a comment:

• Mottles
    replied

Final

Hi All, well it's a wrap........all done. It was fun and even better as it's a gift for two very special people.
    I really appreciate the comments I've recieved and thanks for your freindship.
    As I'm use to framing paintings only I wonder what is the best wall type hardware for hanging this type of work? What do you use? My other pyrography work I just put on wooden easels.
    Kathy

Leave a comment:

• Mottles
    replied

Hi Nedra, thank you I hope my friends like it too. Gee sorry you had so much trouble posting--glad you hung in there though.
    Kathy

Leave a comment:

• Mottles
    replied

Originally posted by Hi_Ho_Sliver
    Yes have heard the term Buffalo Gourds but coyote is more fitting since the female uses the gourds to wean her pups.
    Hey Dave, what's the story behind the female coyote and weaning her pups? Sounds interesting.
    Kathy

Leave a comment:

• Pyrographer
    replied

KATHY, great job on the burning and I know your friends will love it....WHATSTHAT good choice in burners. You should have great fun experimenting with it. I look forward to seeing your work.Not sure why I'm having problems posting this message. For some reason my text editing, etc is not working. I apologize if this all ends up together in one paragraph and difficult to read. This is my 3rd and last attempt!!!!Nedra

Leave a comment:

• Hi_Ho_Sliver
    replied

Yes have heard the term Buffalo Gourds but coyote is more fitting since the female uses the gourds to wean her pups.

Leave a comment:

• Mottles
    replied

Bob: Thank you, I too like to see how work comes together. More often than not it's a real help to follow along. This one is pretty easy as the illustration has done most of the detail work. There are some final additions I'll make. I normally like to use my own images more challenging for sure. This illustration fit exactly what I was looking for as a gift for two very special folks.

Deborah: Thank you, I sure hope they'll like it too. I haven't burned any wood in a while and it feels good. That doesn't mean I'm giving up on carving just taking a brake. LOL

Dave: Thank you---YOU rascal--you got those pesky rabbits too? Ha, ha
    There all over the place here and the coyote gourds grow that weeds. Have you ever heard of them referred to as 'Buffalo Gourds'? hummmmm

Thanks everyone,
    Kathy

Leave a comment:

• Hi_Ho_Sliver
    replied

"Wabbits ewery wher, dadblasted wabbits!" sign Elmer P Fudd esq. Good Job Kathy!

Leave a comment:

• Callynne
    replied

Kathy, your friends are going to love it! It's really looking great! Thanks for sharing it with us! Deborah

Leave a comment:

Working...
X