1st woodburning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st woodburning

This is my first woodburning, it was done off of one of Susans pattern from her website.

Re: 1st woodburning

Very nice job, that is a great first woodburning. Can't wait to see more.

Greg

Comment

Good Job Mel....my first woodburning was right after I learned to split firewood LOLMotorcycle
      "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Nice job!

Where did you find the colored wood?Smile

I'd be interested in what you used for the color.

Thanks

Comment

Yes, It is a great start Mel. Am amazed at your coloring. Real Nice . Job well done.

Comment

Very nice, it has the feel and look of a midieval etching........I like it!

Comment

Very good burning!!

Jax.
              WOOD IS WONDERFUL!

Comment

Thanks for the compliments, I used colored pencils to shade it in, that was a first also. I need to ask some of the pros, here how I should finish it. I also plan on putting some sort of frame around it.
                Mel

Comment

Nice job Mel very good for your first burning. I am still working on mine sure isnt as easy as the others here make it look is it?
                  Colin
                  Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
                  Jackson, MS

Comment

Thumbs Up Mel, terriffic first woodburning and you did color too! I'm impressed greatly. I love the colored pencil work did you use oil pencils?
                    For a finish on my woodburning I brush on two coats of Winwax polyacrylic. I let the first coat dry over night and then apply the second coat the next day.
                    As for framing I have found a wood frame fits these woodburning really well. Usually a rustic type frame like barnwood, driftwood. Hey you could even make your own frames.
                    Thought about your next woodburning? You know you can't just do one! tee hee
                    Kathy

Comment

Hi Mel, great first burning. Nice subtle shading and good use of color.

For a final finish I use a polyacrylic satin brush on like Kathy but I prefer General Finish rather than Minwax products for my art work and my chip carvings. Just personal preference. I use 3 coats following the instructions on the can. The general finish products are available at most woodcarving and woodcraft stores such as Woodcraft. Minwax of course is available at Home Depot and Lowes.
                      Nedra

Comment

Thanks guys, The colored pencils I used were Prismacolor pencils, something the daughter reccomended.

Kathy not sure what I'll do next I have an Elk Picture I have been eyeing, also thinking of doing one off a picture of my dogs. I need more time, thats what my main problem is. I like to care and woodburn both, maybe I'll integrate the two.
                        Mel

Comment

I like playing with colored pencils.

If you dip them into a little bit of mineral spirits as your drawing its almost like painting.

Here's a scene I did with Prismacolor pencils.

It was done from a picture I took while on a motorcycle trip in the state of Wyoming. Route 16 just west of Ten Sleep.

Comment

Neat drawing. I have a set of water color pencils, I never thought of trying them on wood......good idea.

Comment

GILLY,

I'd be interested in hearing how the watercolor pencils work on wood.

I'm currently working on a carving that I'm going to dry brush some watercolor from tubes on to it.

The pencils I have are wax based and the mineral spirits act as a solvent.

Comment

Working...
                              X