Making burning Tips from Nichrome wire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making burning Tips from Nichrome wire

I just obtained a Razortip Handle with pieces of different sizes of wire to make my own tips, I would appreciate information on making the tips. Like do you get the wire red hot before flatting the wire & bending or can you do this cold? Thanks

Re: Making burning Tips from Nichrome wire

The ones I flatted out, I got red hot. I used a ball peen hammer to flattened after i shaped the tip part a round a needle nose pliers. I used another hammer for the anvil. I think i even used an upholstery hammer to tap the hot wire on some. Some of the ones I flattened, I took needle nose files and filed grooves into them for "special" effects.
    The wire will get brittle if over worked and needs to be annealed.
    I had fun making the tips. Reminded me of when I used to make hand wrought silver jewelry in high school.
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Comment

You need to get the wire hot, then as you tap the hammer on the wire you kind of pull the hammerhead back towards you to extrude the metal. I have an old piece of railroad rail I use for an anvil and a small ballpean hammer.
      Larry

Comment

Magicman, check out this website Make your own fish scale wood burning tips and wood burning pens by Ed Walicki
        Ed W. has a great tutorial posted. Dick M

Comment

Sue Walters Pyrography Workbook has excellent info in Chapter 5 on making tips. A Fox Chapel book...

Comment

Thanks for all the information, sounds like I can do it!!

Comment

Working...
            X