• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Goldfinch WIP

Title: American Goldfinch
    Medium: Pyrography, Colored Pencil
    Support: 5 x 7 inch basswood

Hi All, a while back there was a discussion in this forum about the use of colored pencils and oil pencils.
    I wanted to make a gift for someone in Washington State and thought about their state bird and flower (West Coast Rhododendron). Also thought not only to use pyrography but also colored pencil.
    So thought you would like to follow along. The pencils are Berol Prismacolor and I'm also using a Prismacolor Blending pencil.
    I'm using a graphic from the Dover Coloring Book of 'State Birds And Flowers'
    Kathy

Re: American Goldfinch WIP

Looks great Kathy! They will like love the gift.

Comment

Kathy, that's going to be a great piece!

The use of color is going to move a great wood burning into the OOOH/AAAH category!

Comment

Beautiful job! It's going to be hard to part with that one, but your friend will be very happy and proud to display it.

Comment

That really livens the woodburning up, great job!
          "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Beautiful.

Dylan

Comment

Gee Hi Kathy you didn't have to!!!! Talking

It's looking really good. Can't wait to see it when it's done.

Nedra (in WAshington State)

Comment

Kenny, thank you I sure hope so.

Brian, thank you it's nice to be able to add some color to a woodburning sometimes.

Gilly, thank you it is hard to part with things you make but if I didn't we'd have to rent a warehouse. LOL

Dave, thank you too.

Dylan, thank you

Nedra, LOL I forgot you lived in Washington State. You probably have burned your own state bird and flower beautifully.
                Thank you for your nice compliment.

I will add an update soon.
                Kathy

Comment

Hi Kathy, actually we just live here, it's not home. It's just a temporary stopping place on our way back to New MexicoMs Smile So, it's really not my state bird and while we have goldfinch outside our window every day feeding I haven't burned any. I do adore watching them though, they are so cute.

I look forward to seeing the progress of your burning. I don't use color very often but it's always nice to see how people incorporate color into their burnings.

I do remember that pattern in the Dover book. Nice pattern. Rhoddy's are definately the state flower. They are EVERYWHERE!!!
                  Nedra

Comment

Ooooohhhh.....that's an interesting use of colour. Thinking of all the possibilities! Thanks Kathy, beautiful beginning. Looking forward to more.

Bob
                    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Nedra, I do remember you mentioning living in New Mexico at one time. I didn't realize Washington wasn't a permanent home. We thought about settling in New Mexico but Arizona won our hearts.

Bob, thank you colored pencils are very versatile and are fun to work with.

Kathy

Comment

Hi Kathy, ah yes, we have actually lived all over the country during our many years working for the government. I lived in Albuquerque for over 4 years and I left my heart in New Mexico and while we have visited Arizona, I'm still stuck on NM. One of these days in the not too distant future we'll be back there permanently!
                        Nedra

Comment

FINSH

Well, didn't think I'd finish this today but I did. I actually scanned the work about half-way though--so I could share that stage with you.
                          Well, best layed plans--Head Bange somehow my scanned image didn't save to it's file. Sooo all I have is the beginning and finish.

Thanks everyone for looking and commenting.

Kathy

Comment

Beeee-utiful job! Love the way the colour jumps out at ya and the effect the woodgrain has.....I guess I've been admiring woodburnings in just B/W (?) or grayscale (?) so long, I plumb forgot about colour.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Bob
                            Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Wow already on a new project, its looking good already
                              MelCowboy

Comment

Working...
                              X