Custom tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom tip

I have a Colwood Detailer that uses replaceable tips. Is there such a thing where you can make your own tip?

I want to take my signature logo and make a tip that works like a branding iron to sign my pieces. It is a mountain design that looks like an ‘M’ and should be pretty simple to make. I was looking at the custom branding irons in WoodCraft last night and came up with this idea after looking how much they charge for them.

Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Custom tip

I don't know why you couldn't make it work, It would take some skill to attach the wire branding tip to the existing contacts. I think the tip will get too hot for solder, you may have to use silver solder.

Comment

I was thinking that maybe Colwood made a tip that you could bend the wire to make a custom tip...maybe I am dreaming????

Comment

Colwood has tips you can use to put your own wire in, also burnmaster pens will work on your colwood and are made so that you just loosen 2 screws to change tips or use your own custom tips. There are several other brands whose tips can be used on colwood.

Comment

You will also need Ni-Chrome wire.
          Larry

Comment

You can buy the Wire at Razor Tip. Merle

Comment

I've made tips from Ni-Chrome wire. It was fun. I thought about making a branding one, but haven't as of yet. And yes you would need to use silver solder. I used to make jewelry a long time ago, so if memory serves me correctly, I think hard silver solder, the highest melting point, would work the best.
              My ETSY shop:
              https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions everyone…I got two pieces of Ni-Chrome wire and two Colwood tips from the Woodcraft shop, so I am going to attempt to make my branding iron.

I have a bank customer that runs a jewelry store, and he is going to solder the wire in the tip for me with gold solder. It has a 1,200 degree melting point, so that should work.

I will try to post how it turns out!

Comment

tbox 61...if you are so inclined to make the burning pens (tips, etc) you can find excellent instruction at Fish Carving - The largest online resource for fish carving instructionals and fish carving classes by Ed Walicki. Just check out the site to find tutorials. Dick

Comment

Working...
                  X