Burning to stop stain spread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning to stop stain spread?

I've seen it posted that burning to separate painting areas works well, but if I want to stain only part of a relief carving, will burning stop the stain from being sucked into adjacent areas that I don't want stained?
    Arthur

Re: Burning to stop stain spread?

(Will burning stop . . . ?) Probably not.
    Remember that "stain" is not one thing. It includes solvent based dyes, water based pigment, gels, etc. Capillary action carries it between the fibers of wood. The best way to control that is to use a sealer.

Comment

I'm no pyrographer. However, I can feel an indentation in the wood as a result. I'm not sure that the dent would have the same effect as an actual cut. If one area is sealed, it's possible that the stain can creep under the sealed surface.
      While I agree with Pallin, I suggest you do some experiments in scrap wood = what works? What doesn't? It's entirely possible that different woods and light/heavy burning will give you different results.
      Brian T

Comment

I remember a project we had in Jr. High woodshop - to make a checkerboard from thin plywood. The dark squares were stained, but we didn't want the stain to bloom into the light squares. So we scored (cut) lines between the squares and rubbed wax (paraffin) into the lines. It had to be done very carefully, especially on the end grain.

Comment

Working...
        X