Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whitetail Deer Burning in Paper

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Whitetail Deer Burning in Paper

    Just completed this project from Great Book of Woodburning Lora . S. Irish

    Enjoyable projects in the book aslo a good guide to the work

    White Tail Deer................

    Comments Critic Suggestions or advice welcome

    Kind Regards Mike The Netherlands

  • #2
    Re: Whitetail Deer Burning in Paper

    You're jumping back in with both feet Mike! I can already see a difference. It's all coming back to you fast. You already know I'm a big fan of shading to outline. The only suggestion I have is to shade in areas instead of a solid burned outline. That will give a realistic look and more dimension.

    Shading is what gives burns their life and depth, even if it's a soft tone.

    Let me see if I can get this so it makes sense. For the log shade from the edge going inward with an arc motion fading to light twords the center or where ever you want the highlighted area to be. Same arc for the bottom sweeping the fade upwards. This will give the log a rounded appearance. The direction of the arc will give a sense of how the log is sitting on the ground, laying flat, at an angle or tilted on a rock. Then burn in your texture.

    With the deer burn the fur in around the outline just like you did, but leave out the solid outline. What helps with that is to not trace the outline, but to lightly trace the hair or fur direction in with a few traced hairs on the outer edges so you know where the edge is.
    Especially on paper, it's not as forgiving as wood when it comes to erasing the left over tracings

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Whitetail Deer Burning in Paper

      Beautifully done Mike, very impressive

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Whitetail Deer Burning in Paper

        Originally posted by WhittleBurner View Post
        You're jumping back in with both feet Mike! I can already see a difference. It's all coming back to you fast. You already know I'm a big fan of shading to outline. The only suggestion I have is to shade in areas instead of a solid burned outline. That will give a realistic look and more dimension.

        Shading is what gives burns their life and depth, even if it's a soft tone.

        Let me see if I can get this so it makes sense. For the log shade from the edge going inward with an arc motion fading to light twords the center or where ever you want the highlighted area to be. Same arc for the bottom sweeping the fade upwards. This will give the log a rounded appearance. The direction of the arc will give a sense of how the log is sitting on the ground, laying flat, at an angle or tilted on a rock. Then burn in your texture.

        With the deer burn the fur in around the outline just like you did, but leave out the solid outline. What helps with that is to not trace the outline, but to lightly trace the hair or fur direction in with a few traced hairs on the outer edges so you know where the edge is.
        Especially on paper, it's not as forgiving as wood when it comes to erasing the left over tracings
        Marcy

        I think I understand what you mean one problem might be transfering the pattern to wood or paper as i use graphite paper so solid lines are hard to remove............im willing to try a new way but its getting the design there

        if it was free-hand and pencil no problem you can erase the lines!! but Im no artist.........hence graphite paper.............any suggestion or help appreciated Kind Regards Mike

        I;ll place a photo of my Work in Progress you,ll see what I mean

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Whitetail Deer Burning in Paper

          Originally posted by efmaron View Post
          Beautifully done Mike, very impressive
          Eric

          Very much appreciate your kind words.....these sort of comments always adds encouragement so cheers

          Kind Regards Mike

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Whitetail Deer Burning in Paper

            Mike, I know what you mean about the graphite not being to forgiving. I also trace my patterns onto the wood, leaves less room for error. Which if it's going to happen will happen in the worst spot without fail. If you can find one that is a very pale gray it's much less noticed. Maybe with what graphite you have, a lighter hand while tracing might thin the lines? I think it's Saral brand that is a lighter graphite.



            I remember the progress you had made before you got sidelined, you're not far from being right back there now.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Whitetail Deer Burning in Paper

              Originally posted by WhittleBurner View Post
              Mike, I know what you mean about the graphite not being to forgiving. I also trace my patterns onto the wood, leaves less room for error. Which if it's going to happen will happen in the worst spot without fail. If you can find one that is a very pale gray it's much less noticed. Maybe with what graphite you have, a lighter hand while tracing might thin the lines? I think it's Saral brand that is a lighter graphite.



              I remember the progress you had made before you got sidelined, you're not far from being right back there now.
              Next visit to lour local craft shop will check out various graphite papers
              Iwill try not to apply to much pressure with the transfer process Marcy hope that will help a little

              Yep...........must keep working at it but shading is not my favourite things....
              animals well out of my comfort zone here but its a challenge to conquer

              Kind Regards Mike [ Winterkoning ]

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Whitetail Deer Burning in Paper

                Shading is the most difficult part of wood burning, it take lots of practice and even more patients. Instant gratification just isn't there, once one get past that and when it's achieved the gratification and sense of achievement is ten fold.

                The hardest piece I ever did is the one when an instructor picked a picture , handed it to me and said "now do this without burning any lines" I thought he was out of his freaking mind. But it was the best lesson I have learned in woodburning. I had been burning about a year at that time and never looked back from there.

                Don't let animals intimidate you, just look at it as a weird looking dragon

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Whitetail Deer Burning in Paper

                  Very nice, Mike… as a confirmed deer hunting addict, that view is exactly the view most Whitetail hunters dread! Don’t know if you have deer in the Netherlands, but they are very plentiful here in Kansas. We are right in the middle of our deer season here.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Whitetail Deer Burning in Paper

                    Originally posted by tbox61 View Post
                    Very nice, Mike… as a confirmed deer hunting addict, that view is exactly the view most Whitetail hunters dread! Don’t know if you have deer in the Netherlands, but they are very plentiful here in Kansas. We are right in the middle of our deer season here.
                    We do have deers here in Holland Roe and Red and Monkjacks too
                    thanks for youe kind words Mery Christmas to you and your


                    Kind Regards Mike

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Whitetail Deer Burning in Paper

                      So, I don't know what kind of transfer paper you use, but there is a brand called Tracedown that is a graphite one, but doesn't have any wax in it, so it erases and burns over differently than alot of the transfer stuff out there. It also allows you more freedom in lightening lines way up with varied pressure from you. I think the stuff that is more waxy doesn't allow it in the same way. It's a bit more expensive, but you can reuse it alot and is very worth it in my opinion. Was suggested to me by a friend who does watercolor painting.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Whitetail Deer Burning in Paper

                        Oh, one more thing. You do need to be a bit more careful when tracing though. I think the wax in most papers keeps it from rubbing off so easily, but it works great to just put a piece of cardboard under your hand to rest on to keep from smudging.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Whitetail Deer Burning in Paper

                          Many thanks for your observations and comments.....appreciated
                          Unfortunately due to the size of the US compared to Holland we never have or can obtain your materials here only by ordering through different outlets in US.....which is expensive as we have to pay extra import tax here in the Netherlands

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X