Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you folks finish/seal your burnings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you folks finish/seal your burnings?

Asking for my wife. She's into pyrography and burns on Basswood with a Razertip - She's wanting to start selling some of her work and until now has never sealed or finished the wood with anything and just left it raw, what would be the proper way to finish/seal it to protect it from fading, yellowing from light, warping, etc.? Would love hearing different methods but she's mainly looking for something that won't yellow the wood or ruin the burning. She wants it to be professional and done right.

Re: How do you folks finish/seal your burnings?

What I have come to use as my go to now is a water based poly. It can be a bit expensive, but I love the stuff. Haven't had an issue with any yellowing or discoloration since I started using it.

A couple things though. I have found that the first coat goes on much differently than regular poly if that is what you are used to, which actually is a huge advantage. The first coat you put on soaks in quickly to the wood, and I have found it raises the grain just very slightly. I think it is great that it does that because once it's dry I go over everything with some 600 sandpaper and it makes it super smooth. Makes it perfect to lay down further coats. It doesn't affect the burning at all that I have ever experienced.

It dries super fast. You don't have to wait forever between applications. I'm finishing up a box tonight. First coat went on at about 1pm, 2nd went on about 6pm and I'm going to be putting on the last one here at about 11pm. And done. And there have been times when doing smaller necklaces and such that I haven't even waited that long...maybe a couple hours. I do always let it sit for about 18 hours after all the coats are on before packing anything up.

Clean up is easy...warm water for brushes and hands...

Well worth the money, I think, between getting a nice, clean finish that doesn't change color and the time it saves during the process...

Comment

Can you link the stuff you use?
      Any other input, links/photos always appreciated and if I can pick it up at walmart or somewhere local that's great. We just need something simple for her that will professionally protect the wood/burning. She didn't want a shiny finish either that slicks the wood.

And if anyone knows where she can find a tutorial on how to properly coat that'd be great. She's never sealed anything before.
      Thanks Jen.

Also, on recommendations, if the clear coat can also be used to seal relief carvings that'd be perfect. That way we only need to get one sealant and it can be used for her work and mine.

Comment

I used a cheap ladies hairspray on all my pyrography
        it adheres well and works over painted burnings as well

Shakey

Comment

I do a lot of burning; but have done only a few burnings. I had been burning fur, feathers, eyes, etc. for many years when I decided to do a few pyrography pieces. The majority of my carvings are painted. Watercolor is my paint of choice and absolutely requires a protective coating.

I use only two finishes:

I use Krylon spray (UV-Resistant, Clear, Matte) as a finish coat on painted carvings. The secret is to go lightly. Just a quick spray each time for about 6-7 coats. What I like about this finish is that it disappears.

On non-painted carvings, I use tung oil. Apply lightly and use at least #0000 steel wool between the 4-5 coats. Tung oil does slightly darken the wood; but less so than the other oil finishes I have tried.

Comment

Sure...this is what I use. I get it at Ace Hardware and it is about $20 for a quart. So, don't freak out at the link...for some reason it will only show me a listing for a 4 pack. It's not THAT expensive. LOL....

It comes in three finish types, satin, semi gloss and gloss.

I have used it for all of my finishing....necklaces, carvings, woodburning and not had a problem with any of it.

Ace Great Finishes Latex Acrylic Poly-Finish - 4 Pack - Wood Finishes - Ace Hardware

Comment

Just don't forget to put at least one coat of whatever finish on the back. Otherwise you might get cupping.

Comment

I use a few different ones on my burns, for no real rhyme or reason.
                I use Deft clear satin , Krylon Clear Matte and Cabot Poly satin. All 3 are easily gotten at most big box stores. They all stink so use in a vented area.

I use several light coats. Be sure to seal the backs of the burn, it helps prevent future warping especially on the thinner boards.

Comment

Here in the Netherlands I use Talens Fixative the type for pastels i find the best one complete spray job done..........then 3 coats yatch varnish last for years............

Kinds Regards Mike The Netherlands

Comment

Working...
                  X