Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOON - Protector & Guardian of the Earth by Night

Hi Gang,
    Here is how I spent my weekend. Most of you know my passion for native art. I have been very hesitant to pursue my passion for a very long time. Only until recently when I have been assured that native art and carving is a calling not only reserved for native peoples. It is with great respect for the heritage of my native friends that I have embarked on this new found love and now dedicate much of my free time attempting to pusue this passion. I was in the middle of this burning and painting when my grandson came to visit me. His exact words (He is 12) were "Dude that is really sick" in this new language he paid me the ultimate compliment. Needless to say he will own it when it is finished he already has a spot on his bedroom wall picked out for it.
    Thanks for looking and of course as usual I welcome comments good or bad.
    Colin
    Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
    Jackson, MS

Re: MOON - Protector & Guardian of the Earth by Night

Colin you are a multi talented individual. If I were your grandson I would be proud to display this. Great job and thanks for sharing.
    P.S. Are you going to try some gourds sometime?

Comment

Ron,
      I have two birdhouse gourds in my garage that look discusting at the moment but they are going to be attempted as soon as I can get to them.
      Colin
      Jackson, MS

Comment

OUTSTANDING!!! That is a quantum leap from tree spirits Colin and I am happy to see you expanding your portfolio! Great job son, keep up the great work.

Bob
        Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

"Dude, that looks really sick" is a compliment? geez, your school system isn't any better than ours LOL Head Bange
          "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Originally posted by Hi_Ho_Sliver
            "Dude, that looks really sick" is a compliment? geez, your school system isn't any better than ours LOL Head Bange
            ROTFLMAO

Colin, that is absolutely beautiful ! That painting must have taken a longtime.

Comment

That is way Kewell Colin.

Comment

Finally put the finishing touches to the piece sealed and signed. Yes I am inspired I have found another unexplored frontier and I am very excited about it. I think I may get my easle out of moth balls and try some more paintings. Having said that I have had a bunch of calls for tree carvings it always happens when spring comes. BTW the Haida Moon is approximatly two feet long by 18 inches high it is quite a large slab.
                Colin
                Jackson, MS

Comment

Colin,
                  It looks great! Nice work!
                  Wade

Comment

Great job Colin, it's lovely or is that not an acceptable word these days. You see a lot of those up here in the Northwest. I haven't gotten into it but it seems to be very popular!!!!

Nedra

Comment

Very good, different and colorful!! What kind of paint did you use?? acrlyics or oils??

Jax.
                      WOOD IS WONDERFUL!

Comment

Talking Colin, I'm away from the boards a few days and look who created one beautiful piece of work. Wow I'm so proud of you what took you so long? I hope you will have some time to do some more.
                        Thumbs Up Excellent Colin
                        Kathy

Comment

Beautiful piece Colin. The size is impressive as well. I know he'll love having it in his room.
                          Apparently you have been greatly affected by the natives point of view, because it looks heart felt. I remember the way you carved and painted the santa blank from Goody. It looks like your new direction has matured into a passion.
                          Maybe you can work some of this new style into the wood spirit carving that folks want this spring.
                          Good luck with it.
                          Thor
                          Steve

Comment

Very nice work. I was wondering the same about not being a native and how working in native art would be accepted. My concern would be if I stepped on toes doing my own creations of native art.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoozer
                              Very nice work. I was wondering the same about not being a native and how working in native art would be accepted. My concern would be if I stepped on toes doing my own creations of native art.
                              Well if that was the case there would be alot of artists out there who would have been doing the same thing, including me. Art is about creativity and originality, not necessarily being an acurate rendering (or copy) of their art.

Nedra

Comment

Working...
                              X