MOON - Protector & Guardian of the Earth by Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MOON - Protector & Guardian of the Earth by Night

I can't see anyone being offended if you brought forth something from inside you using traditional symbols to make it happen. If you were copying their work without thinking about it and selling it, or copying the traditional designs to mislead or in a disrespectful way, it would be offensive. It would be like putting a saint in a suggestive pose.

IMHO!

Bob

Comment

Nice job, by the way, Colin. I love the piece! I'd love to see you free "Native" spirits from trees too!

Bob

Comment

Colin:
        What a fantastic job on carving and painting,love the carving.
        Mark N. Akers
        My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Looking good Colin. Bet your Grandson will be really happy. And congratulations on learning a new language as well. I have to listen real close to my Grandkids to stay up with what they are saying and what they mean. Sometimes I think they need to be slapped but then find out that's not the meaning at all.Red Face
          Garon

Comment

Wow, Colin, that is so impressive!! I think you've discovered your 'second calling' my friend! Awesome, truly awesome! Thanks for sharing with us! Deborah

Comment

Colin....That is one impressive piece of work??? Beautiful.

Here's a suggestion.....why not do one of those designs on the type of hand drum the northwestern tribes used? That would really be neat!

Again, terrific work!

Comment

Thqt is a great idea Lynn I am fairly new to the native carvings so any suggestion is appreciated. Now if I were a good enough woodworker to construct a drum I would be in business.
                Also I didnt answer another question posted by another member. The paint is acrilic with a satin finish over the top.
                Again thanks for all those wonderful comments.
                Colin
                Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
                Jackson, MS

Comment

Far out! Nice job Colin Talking couldn't resist, funny how saying change, I remember my folks teasing for say ing "cool". Its funny how different generations have their own sayings.

As far as Native Amarican carvings go, here in the southwest some of the tribes feel only certain individual are allowed to carve certain types of Kachinas, and bad things good happen to carver that does. The carvings I like are the ones done by the Hopi indians, some of those carvers can really put some detail in their work, they use wood burners now also, they also are pretty pricey. Here's a link to some neat carvings if your interested in seeing them.
                  Mel
                  http://www.ancientnations.com/contemporary.html

Comment

How did I miss this thread for so long?

Nice job Colin. What sort of wood is that painted on?

To those of you concerned about 'stepping on toes' when it comes to imitating "native art"; Don't be too concerned as long as you aren't doing a direct copy and claiming it as your own. Most native artists are like most other artists, they build from one anothers work.

The larger concern is that you understand what you are portraying. I've seen no end of ravens labelled as eagles, bears called wolf, sun and moon mixed up .... sheesh!

Research!

Comment

Working...
                    X