Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best wood to use for outdoor sign?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best wood to use for outdoor sign?

I have been commissioned to woodburn a sign for the outside of someone's cabin. What wood options do I have that would last long?weather proof? And anyone know where I can special order?

My woodburner is a dual razertip systems.

Thanks for any advice.

Tina

Re: What is the best wood to use for outdoor sign?

I think that a key element here is the finish. While many recommend spar varnish, Sikken's Cetol is second to none in the great seasonal climatic swings here in the mountains. Chainsaw carvings, benches, log homes, etc.

The guys in the Diamond Willow shop bought some la-dee-dah pyrographic equipment but I haven't seen it yet. However, the results in both willow and birch are outstanding.
    Not sure that you'd find willow in big enough pieces to be useful. But the birch should be available. There's fantastic 5/4 and 6/4 birch here, maybe 6-7" wide x 5-7' long but the shipping would empty your bank account.
    Brian T

Comment

Mahogany is often the signmakers wood of choice (boatbuilder's too)
      Buffalo Bif
      www.bflobif.com

Comment

BB: I wonder how well wood burning can contrast with mahogany. Even teak is a lighter color (usually).
        Brian T

Comment

Woodburning a sign for outdoors is a great idea. But in use it won't last as long as you'd like, the sun will lighten it up. In about 2 years it'll likely need to be re-burned unless it gets put in a spot that is full shade. Not even a peek of sun. Sealing it with UV protected anything will still get the fade, the 2 years is with it sealed with a UV varnish.

If you're going to do it anyhow, I 2nd the birch suggestion. Maple wouldn't be to bad either. Hard woods will hold the burn a bit better.

Comment

Working...
          X