pen connection gets hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pen connection gets hot

I am new to woodburing and am using an old Colwood Cub with replaceable handles.

The pen does get hot and its heat is controlled by the CUB. I can burn lines in wood. BUT -the connection betwen the fixed tip pen and the power cable gets quite hot (too hot to hold) after several minutes of operation.

Is there anyway to clean, or lubricate the fitting between the pen handle and the power cable to reduce the heat in that connection?

Bernie

Re: pen connection gets hot

The mating metal surfaces are probably tarnished/oxidized and that "infinite path" connection gives you a lot of heat.

I suggest that you work hard with little bits of 1500 grit W&D sandpaper to put a clean shine on the metal parts.

Other than that, the equipment isn't built with big enough parts to carry the current load. You may be carving with "Ov-Gloves"!!!!
    Brian T

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-Deo...ontact+cleaner I use this to keep oxidation off the connector surfaces. Works with my Colwood system.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion which I will try.
        It seems a bit easier than trying to fit in an abrasive cloth inside a small set of connectors used to couple the pen to the cable.
        Bernie

Comment

Bernie, you may try to squeeze the female end of the connection so that you have a good tight fit.. don't do too much though. And sometimes just a good twist where the to go together will make the contact a little better.

Good luck..Tom
          If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Working...
          X