Choose the burner you need.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choose the burner you need.

I made a mistake when I bought my burner. I have only done about 3 pyro pieces. My interest in burning is to put hair on animals. feathers on birds, and to control the areas of paint being applied. My old burner gave out and I went seeking a new one. Read the reviews, picked what I considered the top two and went for price. I made a mistake!

I knew that it would be very nice to have a two pen burner. Two different tips would allow me to work in the same general area at the same time. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the burner shown. I have many hours of burning on it.

My mistake was one of not considering exactly what I needed and looking to see if something fulfilling this need was out there. I only anticipated the need for two pens. What I should have added to this need was a separate control for each pen. My current dilemma is that I want a curved point for the majority of the hair on this carving. There is a need for a very sharp point to get into the area between the bottom of the mane and the body of the horse. This is also true of many areas in the mane.

The problem is that the two points require significant temperature differentials. This requires that I remember two settings and remember to rest the dial according to the point I am using.

Re: Choose the burner you need.

Apparently, Razertip is the only unit certified for sale in all jurisdictions in North America, the EU and Australia. However their 2 channel rig still has just one control.
    The guys in the diamond willow furniture shop each bought that with a full set of all tips.
    Now that you mention it, there are now a couple of pieces of paper stuck to the bench wall with some heat number, tips and apps!!
    One guy also power carves bone, antler and full size doors (got $5k?) Makes great use of the Razertip for modelling. Big areas, so he's not likely to move too fast from one pen to the other.
    Brian T

Comment

I don't know anything about the Nibsburner brand but they do have a two pen model with separate controls.

Comment

The economical fix might be just to write it on the wall. I did that as I carved my way through batches of kitchen stick blanks, just to recall what worked well.
        You might score a second, used rig from somebody.
        The Horse Bust should come to an elegant result.
        Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Paul_Guraedy View Post
          I don't know anything about the Nibsburner brand but they do have a two pen model with separate controls.
          I have the Nibs Dual Dial burner and love it. Model name is Best of Show. It's been a great machine going on 3 years now and no issues. I use my Optima pens and cords with it because I find them more comfortable and they perform just fine with the Nibs. Not having to mess with the dial switching between pens has a great benefit.

If you decide to part with your hard earned dollars, you likely won't regret it.

Comment

Working...
          X