Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Grandpa's woodburner

Hi Gang,
    Had the grandchildren over today and guess what they both wanted to try woodburning. So I gave them a quick lesson let them pick out the design they wanted to do. Well grandson #1 decided he wanted to do the logo himself on his skateboard. Well firstly we had to sand off the old one and get the board prepared. Then I gave him the Razertip and let him do his own thing. Grandson # 2 wanted to put a design on the box that the tools came in I purchased from Rick in Seattle at Christmas. Here are the results so far of the mad wood burners. Funny thing I just got all my pens back from Cam at Razertip with new tips on them. (BTW Cam they are on their way back to you as we speak for new tips). Four burning pens later all melted down and distorted here are the results. Am I upset? not at all, it will cost me $20.00 to retip them and the boys learnt a great deal from the experience. I did show them how to do it but boys being boys always have to turn it up because it burns faster. It was a great days entertainment and more than that real quality time spent for grandpa.
    Do yourselfs all a favor and get a youngster started woodcarving and burning they can have a lot of fun. Both my grandson's have done carvings and now burnings and they always are chomping at the bit to get to grandpa's house to do some more. The oldest who is twelve asked me if I would teach him to chainsaw carve. I am not sure about that yet. Hope you enjoy the pictures
    Colin
    Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
    Jackson, MS

Re: Poor Grandpa's woodburner

i agree 100% colin all my kids are into carving i pretty well have to sneak of to get some serious carving done,but i'm glad there into it,its alot of fun for me and there having a ball doing it

btw what there mother think of the chainsaw,i think i'd have to break my wife in slowly with that one .
    ron

Comment

Ron,
      I told my daughter that the grandson wanted to learn chainsaw carving. The answer I got was "No Way Dad" are you crazy? Never the less I am sure he will get to try it before the summer is over. Grandparents are bad about following the rules that parents lay down.
      Colin
      Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
      Jackson, MS

Comment

Colin, sounds like a fun day for all of you Cool skateboard but shouldn't it have sled runners on it Talking Both kids did a nice job but looks like grandson #2 is really an artist. Good looking boys there.

Comment

That sounds like fun Colin.....but a suggestion PLEASE get them a mask! that basswood smoke sneaks up on you! it didn't bother me at first now it makes me sick! I get the sweats at night, chills nausea etc.Sad.....I think it is a accumulative effect. everyone, wear masks please! Any wood for that matter! You wouldn't stand in front of a bonfire or campfire and inhale all the smoke you could?Cool
          "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Good looking kids Colin, and nice work too. Way too cool designs. They are lucky to have such a talented and patient Grampie.

Bob
            Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Colin.
              i think your passing on more than love when your with your grandsons,

remembering things that impressed me from my grandfather kept me on the path of the straight and narrow,

you never know, but without your influence, they will be lacking something in their lives experiance.

Comment

Now that's what I call quality time well spent!
                Dave Brock

Comment

Originally posted by Hi_Ho_Sliver
                  That sounds like fun Colin.....but a suggestion PLEASE get them a mask! that basswood smoke sneaks up on you! it didn't bother me at first now it makes me sick! I get the sweats at night, chills nausea etc.Sad.....I think it is a accumulative effect. everyone, wear masks please! Any wood for that matter! You wouldn't stand in front of a bonfire or campfire and inhale all the smoke you could?Cool
                  Hi-Ho, that ain't basswood doing that, that is menopause Monkey Now you know why women get crazy!

Comment

Thumbs Up Wonderful Colin your grandson's will always remember Grandpa let's them woodburn and what cool designs. I think they did a super job and you just know what they want for their Birthdays. Better tell Cam to stock up on pens. LOL
                    Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy-CA
                      Hi-Ho, that ain't basswood doing that, that is menopause Monkey Now you know why women get crazy!

Nawww they wuz allays thataway, theys jist blamin' it on them men o' paws!
                      "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Colin, what a great time they had, and what great keepsakes, both the woodburning and memories with Grandpa, they have!

I'm with Dave, the woodsmoke from burning gives me a terrible headache, hubby too. I don't wear a mask, I just keep my dust collector running and in nice weather open up the windows.

Thanks for sharing, Colin, handsome grandsons you've got there! And talented, just like Grandpa! Deborah

Comment

Working...
                        X