X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiLeon
    replied
    Re: Smoke and health

Anything you do can have a toxic effect.....so you just have to be aware. Smoke .....yes in a closed up room. The fireman says..... You can die within so many minutes depending on how much smoke your making....solution you need a highly vented area. That means putting on the thermal underware, and going outside. Or doing it in area with a few fans and place for the smoke to go outside. I do burning inside my art studio and I have the window open and three fans blowing it outside.

Leave a comment:

• Keoma
    replied

some research on the kind of wood you are working with is always a great idea. Some woods are downright toxic to ingest. Black Walnut - YEW - make you sicker than hell and will make you swear you will never do it again. And then you are better and forget how bad it was and you do it again. I am now burning with a backwards fan AND a tshirt over my nose Best of luck - keep yourself healthy , it will keep you carving longer!

Leave a comment:

• Gypsy31
    replied

I spent $125,00 at Harbor Fright for a dust extractor, connected a 12ft Vacum hose with a 2\" diameter, attached to my carving chair and it extract all of the
    sawdust while I power carve my projects. As for the smoke created while I burn my feathers, a $25,00 9\" table fan purchased a the \'Dollar Store\' placed back word extracts any smoke fumes created while I am burning. These two homemade systems works fine for me.
    Oscar

Leave a comment:

• Jerome
    replied

I went and bought one of those Honeywell replacement active carbon filters for their round hepa room filters. It is just a big sheet about 1/4\" thick of a foam filter impregnated with the active carbon. I cut it into 2 pieces the size of my PSI filter. I placed them behind the filter. It is not 100%, but it really does take the smoke out of the air when I am wood burning. I get a little smoke smell in my room, but that\'s about it.

Leave a comment:

• natenaaron
    replied

I weld, I sand, I grind, and always wear a face mask. Go to Home Depot or the local hardware store. They will have what you need and the price won't be too bad. Make sure you get the right filters for what you do.

Leave a comment:

• WhittleBurner
    replied

I do mostly flat work and rarely have smoke. But, If I'm doing other things and there is smoke, a fan sitting on the table close to my workspace will help draw the vapors pointed away from you

Leave a comment:

• Jerome
    replied

I have an old MSI facemask filter similar to the 3M one but there are so many cartridges how do you know which to get. I think the cartridges are a universal size. Don't know and they no longer have a local dealer anymore still looking and learning

Leave a comment:

• Jerome
    replied

Thanks. I visited with the PSI people and they do not have a carbon filter. I have seen small smoke filters for soldering enthusiests. That's where I came up with the carbon filter. Then I remembered a small Holme brand air filter fan I found at a pawn shop years ago. 4 bucks Walmart carries the filters. 6 bucks a carbon pleated filter. I need to do some testing to see if it removes smoke. Jerome
    Last edited by Jerome; 03-03-2015, 09:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied

Jerome:
    Your PSI 725 is a dust extractor and will do little for the size particles that are in smoke. I also have asthma and bought this http://www.amazon.com/3M-Facepiece-R...ies+respirator to wear whenever I use a power tool that creates a lot of dust (Dremel, sanders, etc.) I also bought the 3M 2097 P100 Particulate Filter with Organic Vapor Relief, 1 Pair - Safety Respirator Cartridges And Filters - Amazon.com for the dust particles and the http://www.amazon.com/3M-Organic-Vap...3VB0EDN7CDYBTR cartridges to remove the organic chemicals from the air (such as acetone, mineral spirits, etc.) The ones I bought can be put together (mask + charcoal cartridge + particle filter) to protect me from both particles and fumes.

Claude

Leave a comment:

• Neil A. Ward
    replied

We all should be concerned about dust from wood or other material we use in our carvings and the smoke created from burning details in or other woodburning projects. Using a respirator with the correct filters when powercarving or woodburning is the prudent way to work.

There are members of the forum that have or work in the medical and health professions that could speak to this more intelligent than I can.

Neil

Leave a comment:

• Bob Riegl
    replied

It makes one feel as if no one even read this thread. I have often thought the same thing as I do my detailing on birds---the smoke. Supposedly Tupelo doesn't have anything more than the irritation, not as some other woods smoke toxicity. I don't think that any ordinary face filtering system could be used?????I dunno. But I too am concerned, I suppose any ordinary type of fan would help reduce the amount of smoke, but then wha' hoppens to the burning pens efficiency with the fan on that same line??? I often have to stop burning whenever I have an A/C also operating in the muggy summer days???? Needs to be thought about......."Doc"

Leave a comment:

• Jerome
    started a topic Smoke and health

Smoke and health

I used a friends burner a week or so ago. So after going through an acute asthma attack I am trying to figure out a way to burn safely. I noticed a number of smoke extractors, and the common item is the carbon filters. Now I have a PSI 725, does anyone make a carbon filter that will fit it? I would think placing it behind the filter would work. Any ideas or thoughts. Thankyou Jerome
Working...
X