Fish Carvers...HAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLPP !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish Carvers...HAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLPP !

Re: Fish Carvers...HAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLPP !

look up bill jenny, on the net,
    he has a cd on fish scales for gun stocks
    Stacey

Comment

billjanney.com

Comment

Check with the razirtip manufacture...I believe they make scale burning tips inseveral sizes. Also check with www.fishcarver.com Ed Walicki runs that site and he had different scaling tips available, plus material and instructions for making you own tips.

Or you can do what I did and make your own tips for one of the "hobby" burners, available in the craft stores for around 15 to 30 bucks.

I believe these burners all take a 3/16" standard thread for their tips. Anyway, find what thread you need to insert the tips. Either turn down youself, or have someone turn about a half inch thread length on a short piece of brass rod that is the diameter of the size scale you want to reproduce. Let's say you want to produce a 5/16" diameter scale. Using a 5/16" brass rod, cut a length about 1 1/2" long, and turn one end (1/2") down to the 3/16" thread diameter, and thread this end.

Now turn the rod around in the lathe so the 5/16" end is out from the chuck. Chuck a 1/4" drill into the statonary spindle and run that into the 5/16" rod about 1/2", giving you a brass rod with a 1/4" hole in the center. Now take a countersink, chuck that into the statioary (non turning) spindle and run that up into the 1/4" hole till the taper just meets the end of the 1/4" hole.

At this point you'll have to take the new tip out of the lathe and hold it in a vice while you file away half of the 5/16" dia portion that has been drilled and countersunk. This will leave you with a short brass tip, threaded for 1/2" length on one end, and having a half circle shaped burning end on the other. This can then be screwed into the El-Cheapo hobby pen and used to burn the scale pattern.

I only used the 5/16" rod size as an example....you can make these up to whatever diameter you want bu using either larger or smaller brass rod. Heavier tips will take a little longer to heat up, but retain the heat longer for larger scales.

Hope this helps.....if unclear, email me and I'll send you a sketch or a phot

Al

Comment

Al is correct that Razertip has a bunch of fish scale tips. I don't carry them because I don't get enough demand. There's so many of them and we seem to get more flat burners than carvers. I keep adding pens to our inventory and perhaps when the demand is there we will add them as well. I will also order any pen available if I don't carry it.

My suggestion is to check out the Razertip site for a complete list of the fish scale tips http://www.razertip.com. They can be used on just about any brand of burner with an adaptor or replacement cord.

Nedra

Comment

Originally posted by dutchmanmk3
            Thanks Everyone.

"I am using a 4mm Razertip F22, and an HD5MP small spear with and Ultima buring station. So it is very much like working with the Kennedy realistic fish scale tips."

Any Sage Advice regarding Best or Preferred technique with these tips ???

Nedra, I did contact Cam Merkle and of course his help was outstanding ! I was just curious if there was a preferred technique or tutorial to streamline the process.

Al, I did check fishcarver.com and had looked at Kennedy's book, but was wondering if anyone had any actual experience or advice regarding Best techniques ? I am also having to adapt to dense hardwoods, and intentionally embellish slightly deeper relief for utility purposes. Thanks Again.
            I wish I could help with a tutorial but unfortunately I'm not much of a carver and definately don't know much about fish!!!!

Do you have a local woodcarving club that perhaps you can contact. Perhaps they have someone in the club that has some expertise. As far as some generic burning techniques you might check out the tutorials on my website. Titled "pyrography 101 tutorials"

Nedra

Comment

Talk about serendipity and good timing.....the article in the last issue has an excellent section on scale carving inthe article on carving bookends. Check it out!

Al

Comment

Working...
              X