Tip Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip Options

I was just curious, if there are certain kinds of woodburning tips availble for different effects. What I'm interested in is a tip that can produce a beveled or carved impression on the design. It has been mentioned that using more pressure and slower movement will produce a deeper effect, but it would be nice to know of other enhancing tools.

Re: Tip Options

Nictoe, depending on which type of woodburner you have, there are numerous tips available for different purposes. One of the pyrographers here will probably give you some great tips on using the high end "pen" types. If you are using the hobby shop, woodburner that looks like a small soldering iron, there are also about a dozen different tips available for them, too. Check the hobby sections of the big box stores (Wall Mart, K-Mart, Lowes, etc.) for packets that contain an assortment.

If you have the variable heat pen type you can also increase the wattage, raise the tip temperature and burn fast and deep.

Al

Comment

Sounds good to me !

Comment

Well on second thought, I just may be better off using a rotary tool, if I want some consistency in depth.

Comment

I have photos of most of the woodburning tips for the solid point burners on my website as well as many of the tips available for Razertip pens.

I use a HD5MP or HD14SM in the Razertip to "carve" into the burning when I am trying to create what I call undercutting. You can accomplish the same thing with the universal tip for the solid point burners.

The solid tip burners and tips I have are made by Wall Lenk and still made in the USA.

You might also want to check out the "Pyrography 101" tutorials on my website.

Nedra

Comment

Sure is one impressive resource site. Thanks for the link. Basically, what I have in mind to begin with, is just simply to carve or burn in a pattern's outlines to create this so called: intarsia effect. So the tip would have be a little more wider and longer I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Nictoe
              Sure is one impressive resource site. Thanks for the link. Basically, what I have in mind to begin with, is just simply to carve or burn in a pattern's outlines to create this so called: intarsia effect. So the tip would have be a little more wider and longer I suppose.
              I guess I'm not sure what you are actually trying to do but your not going to find that kind of tip. YOu might have to make something yourself. Apple

Comment

Nictoe, quite often when you burn outlines, you really do not have to go as deep as I think you are proposing, as the dark charred area tend to look a lot deeper than it actually is.

When I'm carving vines and flowers on walking sticks, I first burn the stop cut in (works a lot easier than trying to incise the cuts while crossing the grain)and then relieve the area outside the vines with a small gouge. If I need to go deeper, I just reburn the outlined stop cut again.

You may want to try this technique; first burn your outline, then come at it with a 60 degree "V" tool to relieve both sides of the burn with one pass. That may achieve the effect you want, if I understand you correctly.

Or as Nedra suggested, make your own tip. The hobby pen tips are fairly easy to make. They all have a standard 3/16" thread (coarse), so by threading a 3/16" brass rod with a die from the hardware store, then heating the other end red hot with a propane torch and hammering the tip to the rough shape you want, then taking a file and bringing it to final shape and sharpness, you can make your own in whatever configuratioin you want.

Al

Comment

Could you use a small V tool to outline the work and then maybe just shade it a little bit with a burning tool?

Gene

Comment

Working...
                  X