Woodburning tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodburning tools

I need some advise. My daughters birthday is coming up and she wants a woodburning set. She has used one of the cheaper hand held devices in the past and wants to 'get serious' about her hobby. Not being a woodburner myself, I thought perhaps some of you could offer your help on what I should buy. She does mostly landscapes on flt surfaces now, but I expect she would expand this if she had the right tools. Your help would be appreciated.
    Ric

Re: Woodburning tools

Ric,
    Razertip put out a fantastic woodburner that is reasonably priced and had a terrific guarantee. Even after the warranty is up they will repair it for you for a very nominal price. I have included the website for you http://www.razertip.com I have one of these woodburners and swear by it.
    Colin
    Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
    Jackson, MS

Comment

I have been using the Colwood Detailer woodburner for about two years
      and am happy with its performance.

Here is their website: http://www.woodburning.com

Comment

I have to second David's endorsement of Colwood's woodburner. I've been using Colwood since I started carving and I can't say enough good things about them and their product.

Comment

Ric, I have the Colwood also and really like it. I've heard great things about the Razortip too, so probably either would be a good choice.
          I don't have the dual one, that runs two pens at one time. Given how fast the single one I have heats up the tips and cools down when turned off I don't know how necessary the dual one would be. I do know that after using the 'craft' type one, she's going to love what ever you get her! Callynne

P.S. I also used the fixed tip pens, lots of people like the replaceable ones....so many choices, huh?! Good luck!!

Comment

Thanks for the help. I appreciate your responses. I have gone to the site for both these tools and can now make a better decision. Hopefully we can make her hobby more meaningful.
            Regards
            Ric

Comment

I really think that most of the woodburners including some not mentioned here, like optima are good burners...but the secret, at least to me is the cost of extra tips, that we all will buy and want later, some have outrageous prices on the tips, so I would check the price of the burner and also the price of tips and make my decision based on that....in fact I did LOL I bought a razortip from chippingaway...doesn't mean I got the best machine or even best deal, but I am happy with it. imho
              "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Lenk and HotTip are the two I have. I can't do much fine detail work with either of them. Like feathers on songbirds. I looked at the Razortip and the Colwood burners. Seem pretty expensive. Do they last a long time?

Comment

Everyone I have listened too says they last for years, I have had mind about 3 years I think, not a heavy user, mostly to emphasize a carving, not a woodburner per se.....but its fine, the one adjustment problem I had, razortip forum straightened me out on and one tip was not acting right so sent it to them and the soldered in in permanent for me, no charge. Thats just my experience with one brand...don't really know about the others ???
                  "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

I need to work on hobbies from home to earn extra income. Could anyone please give me some advice on what kind of equipment I should invest in for wood burning? I don't have a lot to spend right now, but could probably start with about $100.00. I want to make sure that I get a good woodburning kit, that will allow me to do a variety of wood burning.

I'm thinking of starting off with simple, small signs/plaques, with only a couple words, or short quotes, and very simple designs.

Thanks.

-- vja4Him
                    +_+_+_+_+_+

Comment

Have to agree with the Colwood people here. I'm still using the detailer I bought over 25 years ago. However, I use Optima pens from Sugarpine Woodcarving Supplies. These pens are like using a pencil.

Welcome to Sierra Creek Studios

Comment

Can't go wrong with a Colwood, Optima or Razortip. I think Razortip has the best warranties. For landscape work a small skew, spear shader and writing tip will do her nicely.

corye

Comment

I have used a Detail Master that I got in 1984, until this year and I received a Colwood,I love it.
                          Mark N. Akers
                          My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

I am a full time woodburner and I have an Optima and love it. I have to agree with the others. When it comes to the burner unit itself there is not a whole lot of difference between each brand. Where the differences come in are the warranties, in the customer service and the pens.

I chose the Optima because of the pens. That was the most important factor for me. IMHO they have the best pens. They can be used on most units but with some you may have to have an adaptor cord is all. I definitely agree with Falconer on them.

The pens were my deciding factor. So you just have to assess what factor is the most important for you and then make your decision form there. Price was a factor secondly for me and they are reasonably priced.

I know warranties and customer service are important but I haven't had a need for either one cause I haven't had a problem with my unit. I needed a good strong comfortable pen.

I have arthritis and I tend to have a heavy hand when I burn so I wanted and more importantly needed a comfortable durable pen.

Good luck in your search and purchase. Hope you keep us updated and share your work with us when you get to that point. Most of all have fun and enjoy the process, journey.

Blessings,
                            Tina

Comment

Hello,

I have a nibsburner, and love it. First class people to do business with also.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X