Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Woodburning tools

Originally posted by vja4Him View Post
    I need to work on hobbies from home to earn extra income. Could anyone please give me some advice on what kind of equipment I should invest in for wood burning? I don't have a lot to spend right now, but could probably start with about $100.00. I want to make sure that I get a good woodburning kit, that will allow me to do a variety of wood burning.

I'm thinking of starting off with simple, small signs/plaques, with only a couple words, or short quotes, and very simple designs.

Thanks.

-- vja4Him
    +_+_+_+_+_+
    I am a full time burner and have used every brand on the market and while in the past I've had some problems with the old style Colwood pens the new foam grip and polished tips are great.

As previously mentioned the power unit itself is similar in most brands so what distinguishes them from each other is the reliability, customer service to the end user, warranty, comfort and performance. Since Razertip, Colwood and Optima all have similar pens available now I think the deciding factor is going to boil down to the best customer service and price. So, that narrows down things even more.

I think for your needs and price being a factor then you can't go wrong with Colwood. While Razertip has a better warranty the price is quite a bit higher (lousy US dollar here).

Colwood tips are a bit more sturdy (made from thicker wire) than Razertip and Optima so if you have a heavy hand you will find they tend to bend/break less and they are just as comfortable if you get the foam grip.

Colwood also now makes some new pens such as the bent spear shader and we are working to get some ball tips as well and should be ready in the next month.

Nedra

Comment

As I said I had a very heavy hand when I started and still do if I don't pay attention to what I'm doing and Optima pens have taken it. They look as good as the day I bought them. They have not bent at all and have definitely not broken. They must have changed since some people have used them. I bought mine about two and a half years ago and a friend from my carving club just bought one and they are both made of the heavier gauage wire.

And as far as price you can get an Optima 1 dual burner with two tips/pens and shipping and handling included for $145.00. You're going to have a hard time beating that price. But if you can I say go for it.

I don't sell them I just know from researching for myself and others who have asked for help.

It's good to hear the varying information so it can be passed on.

I'm always looking for good products at a good price just in case.

Just remember to please post when you get your burner and you're comfortable to share what you have done with it. We would love for you to share it with us.

Blessings,
      Tina

Comment

Good morning everyone -- Thanks so much for all the responses. I'm carefully reading all the posts, and considering which wood burning kit to buy. It looks like I am going to have to find a specialty shop (not Wal-Mart, Michaels, etc.) for a good wood burner. I'm wondering if there are any shops around town that would even have a quality wood burner?

I was really hoping that I could start off with spending less than $100.00, but I don't want to get stuck with something that won't last, will break easily, be difficult to use. Sometimes I have serious trouble with my wrists and elbows. I actually have problems with all my joints. So, I want to make sure that my first investment is practical.

I may be set back financially for awhile. This morning my roommate smelled gas and noticed that there was a big pool of liquid under my van! Not good .... Looks like my van is leaking gas. So I will need to stop by Big O Tires after work and see if they can fix the problem. This weekend I'm taking my van in to get the cooling system worked on and at least one freeze plug replaced (leaking).

I will continue to read all the posts, and do some research on the various kinds of wood burners. I'd like to take a look at some of the work that people have done too!

Please continue to share your experiences and samples of work. Thanks again everyone!

-- vja4Him
        +_+_+_+_+_+

Comment

Originally posted by David_Aaron_Sercel View Post
          I have been using the Colwood Detailer woodburner for about two years
          and am happy with its performance.

Here is their website: Woodburning Tools and Personalized Gifts by Colwood
          2nd on that and my Colwood also survived a year in Iraq and is still going

Comment

Working...
          X