No announcement yet.

Bison

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you imagine trying to hold it up while trying to get it hung on the wall, crap you would need a railroad spike to hold some the weight.
    ~ Dwight
    "Hello, I am the Friggin' Happiness Fairy and I just sprinkled happy dust on you, so smile damit' this crap is expensive."

Comment

I Never saw it when finished, but by the time the taxidermist had removed the skin and horns from the massive old skull and remounted it on what every it is they use to stretch the skin over, I'm sure it would have been lot lighter., but still a fist full.
      . . .JoeB

Comment

I could imagine it would still have some weight to it. I think they use a foam type core which is high density. Still after a few minutes of holding it up you would feel it.
        Just found out some info: The link points to a mount that weights 35 lbs.
        The Taxidermy Store has a wide selection of Buffalo (Bison) mounts & horns, as well as many other types of wildlife and outdoor products for sale.12644.
        ~ Dwight
        "Hello, I am the Friggin' Happiness Fairy and I just sprinkled happy dust on you, so smile damit' this crap is expensive."

Comment

Bison are really boney. A 2 yr old weighs near a ton. On the hooks, I'll guess 600-700lbs. In the freezer, 450-550lbs.
          Bison skulls are built like house roofs = top and bottom flat surfaces and a 1" space filled with all kinds of boney rafters.

I don't believe for a minute that any carving of a bison would need to reflect photographic accuracy.
          Get the big masses mostly right and the viewer's mind will do the rest.

Comment

When I was 8 years old I was nearly killed by a charging Bison. My dad took me to a zoo. They were closed but we saw that we could get to the bison enclosure.
            Luckily there was a chain linked fence between me and one ticked off snort'n , snot flying ,head ramming beast. I ran up to the already bowed out fence where he has hit it many times...I didn't notice the damaged fence when I ran up. I bet he hit it doing 30mph and I was running about the same away. My dad was running to me and saw the whole scene. He was happy I was alive and may have said " we don't need to tell your mother about this."
            Greg

Comment

I can believe that, GG. Bison are extremely unpleasant. Given the opportunity, they will stomp and gore you to a pulp, just for fun. They are not dumb-arse cattle.
              Many stories of close calls here, won't waste space with them. The rancher would rather face off with a Grizzly bear.
              But, under my knife and fork, they are heavenly food.

Comment

Working...
              X