16th Century Miniature Boxwood Carvings That Fit in the Palm of Your Hand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16th Century Miniature Boxwood Carvings That Fit in the Palm of Your Hand

While I was searching for some holly and boxwood carving images in google, I found this site, and thought interesting.

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2017/0...-of-your-hand/

Interesting! We first saw these miniature carvings in the British Museum. Tried to photograph them thru the glass of the display case, but didn't succeed.

Comment

Wow! And I thought I was obsessive about the details of my projects.

Comment

FYI - http://www.visualnews.com/2015/02/11...ture-carvings/

The Prayer beads actually come apart. There are small wood pins that hold the front piece in front of a background piece.

Bob L

Comment

Remember a few years back here in WCI? We had a member from the UK = "flyfisher?" who did beautiful miniatures in several substances.
          16th century. The 1500's. I'll bet the tools were a lot like today's.

Comment

My gosh, how in the world did that every get such detail? Thank you for sharing

Comment

The most amazing thing to me is the close up show knife cuts.....WOW!
              http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

I am reminded of a Dutch slang phrase involving ants, roughly meaning someone who is obsessively attentive to small details. But I can't reveal it lest someone could translate it literally. Besides, I admire the result, so I don't really want to make fun of it. Yet that phrase keeps popping into my head.

Comment

That is quite stunning work. Wow. Did you see at the bottom of the page the pic of the small train coming out of a carpenter's pencil?
                  Terry

Comment

Wow! Quite impressive. Thanks for steering us to that, kiri.
                    Arthur

Comment

hi
                      an exposition with this subject will start soon in Amsterdam (Rijksmuseum). See link to an announcement on public TV in Flanders. Images speak for themselves if you don't understand dutch:
                      Jos
                      Belgium

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
                        Wow! Quite impressive. Thanks for steering us to that, kiri.
                        You are welcome, Arthur. I was wondering which Micro tools they had used to create such a marvelous carvings. Talent and skill is obviously needed, but also thinking good tools must be essential for creating masterpiece works.

Comment

Originally posted by honketyhank View Post
                          I am reminded of a Dutch slang phrase involving ants, roughly meaning someone who is obsessively attentive to small details. But I can't reveal it lest someone could translate it literally. Besides, I admire the result, so I don't really want to make fun of it. Yet that phrase keeps popping into my head.
                          Do you mean : "miereneuker"? that's really slang. If I translate it litteraly in english it would be something like "antf***er".

PSI added the ***like it is in use in US. Here we say like it is.
                          Jos
                          Belgium

Comment

Uh-oh. Now we are both in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by honketyhank View Post
                              Uh-oh. Now we are both in trouble.
                              Hahaha. That was so funny.

Comment

Working...
                              X