Carving Hands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carving Hands

In January 1948 the Dutch graphic artist M. C. Escher produced a lithograph of two hands holding pencils. Each hand was drawing the other. I thought this would be an interesting idea for a relief carving, but that each hand be carving the other. Here are three photos - a couple of the piece in process, the other of the finished carving. Basswood - 12" x 16"

Who wears French cuffs and cufflinks while carving?

image_5504.jpg093.jpg101.jpg
    Last edited by pallin; 11-22-2016, 09:24 PM.

Hi Pallin
    Very nicely carved, I presume you wore your cuff links while you carved this piece,like we all do when we carve
    Bruce

Comment

A unique Design and Very well done. Merle

Comment

Wonderful work Pallin, you certainly have a way with the wood. I like the texture and the monogram on the cuff links. Nice touch.

Tinwood

Comment

I thought you had done this carving before. It looks familiar and not just because I know the Escher print.

Comment

Well done, Palin! Interesting concept, lovely execution, as usual!
            Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Steev View Post
              I thought you had done this carving before. It looks familiar and not just because I know the Escher print.
              Yes, Steev, this is part of my effort to bring back images (photos) lost when this site was hacked. I have done this carving only once - ten years ago.

Comment

So very cool. I really like how you think. Your creative artistry is off the charts.
                Very nicely done.

Comment

Thanks for the compliment, Spiritwolfe, but the creativity is mostly from the mind of Escher. I have simply changed his graphic design to a relief - with modifications of course.

Comment

A nice relief. Thanks for posting it.
                    Joe

Comment

Thanks for the repost of this prior carvings of the fine piece
                      . . .JoeB

Comment

Very well done Pallin. Talented hands carving a pair of carving hands.
                        We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
                        https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Perhaps you noticed - this carver has two right hands!

Comment

Probably better than two left feet.

Tinwood

Comment

VERY nice! Escher is one of my favorites. So many creative pieces from him and you do a great job recreating them! Well done!

Comment

Working...
                              X