Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob K.
    replied
    Use plain denatured alcohol you get in the hardware store.

Leave a comment:

• Rezbar
    replied
    Originally posted by scotia carver View Post
    Hi Rezbar
    very nicely done ,first time I have seen relief carving and chip carving on the same item, if you don't mind I would like to share this with my carving club
    Bruce
    Please, be my guest!

Leave a comment:

• Spiritwolfe
    replied
    Really lovely!

Leave a comment:

• Rezbar
    replied
    Originally posted by pallin View Post
    The size of your chunk of basswood might mean that it sat in a supply shop for a while, drying out. Previous discussions have suggested using a 50/50 mix of alcohol and water to make it more carvable. It's a lovely design and well done.

Here's another example of combining relief with chip carving:

https://forum.woodcarvingillustrated...-sister-repost
    Thank for your suggestion. What type of alcohol do you mean?

Leave a comment:

• Rezbar
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob K. View Post
    Your vase turned out very nice, and I like the idea of mixing relief carving with chip carving. Just one constructive comment, if you don't mind: next time make your cuts deeper. You will create darker shadows which are key to both relief and chip carving.
    Good tip. thank you.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    The size of your chunk of basswood might mean that it sat in a supply shop for a while, drying out. Previous discussions have suggested using a 50/50 mix of alcohol and water to make it more carvable. It's a lovely design and well done.

Here's another example of combining relief with chip carving:

https://forum.woodcarvingillustrated...-sister-repost
    Last edited by pallin; 05-06-2017, 11:45 PM. Reason: added link

Leave a comment:

• Bob K.
    replied
    Your vase turned out very nice, and I like the idea of mixing relief carving with chip carving. Just one constructive comment, if you don't mind: next time make your cuts deeper. You will create darker shadows which are key to both relief and chip carving.

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    I agree with Mottles and Scotia! Well done!

Leave a comment:

• scotia carver
    replied
    Hi Rezbar
    very nicely done ,first time I have seen relief carving and chip carving on the same item, if you don't mind I would like to share this with my carving club
    Bruce

Leave a comment:

• Mottles
    replied
    Hello: I think your lime wood vase is lovely. I like your idea of chip carving on one side and relief carving on the other.

Leave a comment:

• Rezbar
    started a topic Relief and Chip-carved Vase

Relief and Chip-carved Vase

After a long time, I wish to post this vase of lime wood. On one side there are two daisies and on the other some chip-carving patterns. Unfortunately, the wood was far from being good, because it was too dry. Your comments will be most welcomed.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
Working...
X