X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MartyLeenhouts
    replied
    Originally posted by drhandrich View Post
    and by the way, that chip carve knife i bought from you is the nicest knife i ever owned ! the sharpest shaped edge , for certain !
    That's what I love to hear!!

Leave a comment:

• drhandrich
    replied
    Steve, thanks for the tip about frosting. i gotta give that a whirl.

Leave a comment:

• drhandrich
    replied
    and by the way, that chip carve knife i bought from you is the nicest knife i ever owned ! the sharpest shaped edge , for certain !

Leave a comment:

• drhandrich
    replied
    wow Marty , thanks for the link to the carving video. its a good one to watch ! on mine there were a couple places i veered from original and got a bit creative on my own, didnt have quite enough pattern to figure out a couple spots, now though, the video explained it though , to me.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Neat carving, I just send them a message asking about block-material

Leave a comment:

• Steve Reed
    replied
    Denny, what you refer to as "frosting" is actually a technique called "dry brushing". The idea is to take a lighter paint, wipe off most of it, then go over the piece with a light touch, just barely leaving some paint on the high spots. I use it a lot when painting my Santa beards. You can probably find some references on the web.
    Steve
    PS Nice job on the owl!
    Last edited by Steve Reed; 11-18-2018, 03:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• MartyLeenhouts
    replied
    Hi Denny, Good work on your owl. You bought the EZboard from me at the show :-). EZcarving.com is the place for more
    Here's a video showing how to carve this owl...

Leave a comment:

• drhandrich
    replied
    thanks, this is the one i later scaled down and placed onto what will become a hand mirror, shown somewhere else in another thread.

Leave a comment:

• brent
    replied
    Nice work. Nice pattern,too!

Leave a comment:

• drhandrich
    replied
    i love a happy ending. !

Leave a comment:

• Hineps
    replied
    drhandrich "i purchased it from the wood carving show done in Wisconsin a couple week ago. "

I was able to contact Marty and he was kind enough to send me a copy of the pattern. Thanks for the info!

Phil

Leave a comment:

• drhandrich
    replied
    now here is a guess i just thought up. keep in mind, first time using an airbrush. i was using bottled acrylic instead of tube, I think that is thinner . plus i then thinned it down 50/50 to go through the airbrush without stopping or spitting. . so it went on saturated actually. at one end of coloration i had Misted bright orange over dark brown. it showed up nicely as i did it. I wonder if the extra wet paint and time to dry duration. maybe the overcoat mist rekindled the base coat pigments and they blended themselves while drying. i seldom use bottled acrylic, never used mixed 50/50 with water. and first time with airbrush.. after it had dried i hand brushed on the vivid colors on the face and i noticed i needed 4 coats straight paint, to get color coverage.
    anyone out there with airbrush experience ever notice this before?
    Denny

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Well, it may not have the color variations that you were looking for, but it not bad. A person hates to experiment on things that they want to keep. But at least you have a starting point.

Leave a comment:

• drhandrich
    replied
    pattern and ezboard compliments of Marty Leenhouts from mychipcarving.com

Leave a comment:

• drhandrich
    replied
    well here it is finally. my first chip carve. i actually did airbrush 4 different colors onto the body and head, hoping for the shading effect with lighter and darker parts, now that it is all dry, i cannot find those results, it all looks the same color to me. which might be just a plague of me being colorblind. i tried. if i went extreme to accomplish that, it'd be way ugly. but all in all i am quite pleased with the overall look. finished owl.jpg

Leave a comment:

Working...
X