When was your last carving class?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When was your last carving class?

Yesterday I finished teaching a 3-day chip carving class at Red Barn Retreats (www.redbarnretreats.com). There were 9 students from first time to advanced.
    We had a great time and everyone said they learned a lot and enjoyed the group interactions. Most chip carved a box and 2 worked on mantle clocks.
    Here are some pictures of our time together.
    how about you? When was your last class and how was it?

Hi Marty , Good looking Pieces . The Work Benches are also great looking. Got to ask . Where to get them? Merle

Comment

My one and only wood carving class was 2 weekends ($100.00) with a full time pro carver, as a Christmas present.
      Then a 3(?) year gap of dormancy. Then an itch that needed to be scratched and I haven't looked back. 15+ years ago.
      Question for you: What's your choice of light bulbs?
      Brian T

Comment

Boy Marty, you have some very talented beginners. Great looking stuff.
        If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
          Hi Marty , Good looking Pieces . The Work Benches are also great looking. Got to ask . Where to get them? Merle
          Hello Merle, The work benches are pretty sweet. And easy to make from local materials. Here's where to get the plans - https://mychipcarving.com/product/fo...g-table-plans/

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
            My one and only wood carving class was 2 weekends ($100.00) with a full time pro carver, as a Christmas present.
            Then a 3(?) year gap of dormancy. Then an itch that needed to be scratched and I haven't looked back. 15+ years ago.
            Question for you: What's your choice of light bulbs?
            Hello Robson, Interesting how class attendance works, isn't it. Glad you are on a 15-year roll! Hands down, my choice for light bulbs is CFL or LED Daylight temperature bulbs. They give off a nice, bright white light. The closest light I've found when compared to natural daylight.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Ellis View Post
              Boy Marty, you have some very talented beginners. Great looking stuff.
              Hi Tom, Everyone did really well. Some of the photos show work by advanced carvers, like the mantle clocks. But you're right, the beginners sure made great progress in 3 days! That's what I strive for and love to see. It inspires them as well as me

Comment

I've never been to a class. I got the bug for chip carving from Roy Underhill's show and then got the basics from youtube and then picked up a knife and started experimenting till I found what I liked and what works for me.

Comment

Greetings from Ukraine! I plan to launch online courses on the thread that can be advised as a professional in this area?

Comment

never had a carving class.
                    ~ Dwight
                    "Hello, I am the Friggin' Happiness Fairy and I just sprinkled happy dust on you, so smile damit' this crap is expensive."

Comment

I had an evening class in relief carving in 2012 through the Leisure Program classes at Louisiana State University. That gave me the bug, I started carving and haven't stopped. I expanded my repertoire to carving in the round through books and on line tutorials such as those on YouTube. Without that first class I wouldn't have even given carving a thought.

Prior to that I carved a sea captain in balsa and a moonshiner in cedar over 40 years ago (which I still have). Long gap there!
                      Arthur

Comment

i like seeing the results of your class there. great ! nice set of worktable plans too. pm me if you have an extra table to sell and ship to me.
                        Den
                        Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

My carving from recent class almost done. A bit of color on the maple leaves seems fitting, don't you think.

Comment

Working...
                          X